Negative/Positive Thought Replacement I Used This Week

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
InternalSun

Negative/Positive Thought Replacement I Used This Week

Post by InternalSun » Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 am

I was in the grocery store, shopping, practicing being in public, getting anxious, and then angry that I was anxious about being in public. As I recall, the situation continued on:

Negative Thought(s): This is so stupid! Why am I anxious right now? NO ONE is looking at me, they're all shopping. I can't believe I even got anxious over this, now I'm angry.

From that point, I envisioned myself getting so angry that I got a little grey cloud above my head, like in the Peanuts cartoons...at which point I actually started laughing out loud! It just came out...after another woman, cart in tow, pulled onto my aisle. So I smiled at her, and we both started laughing- at nothing, really. The old me would have been mortified by this situation, but now I think it's hilarious. What would I do if I caught a stranger laughing alone on a grocery aisle? Well, I'd join in, too.

"Whether you can or you can't, either way, you are right." -Henry Ford

PB2704

Re: Negative/Positive Thought Replacement I Used This Week

Post by PB2704 » Mon May 30, 2011 5:33 pm

OK - here goes a newcomer from Austin Texas. I have never done Facebook before -- Idid join a group and post some things back in 2009. So I am really new to all this -- I have just not wanted to get involved in anything where I might be expected to participate everyday. Yep -- major depression/anxiety has held me back.

Anyway, I am in session 3 and found your suggestion very helpful. A little humor helps!!! I'm glad you got to laugh it off in the story!!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Tue May 31, 2011 9:21 am

Thanks for the story and PB welcome to StressCenter.com! Paislee :mrgreen:

couturesugar

Post by couturesugar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:16 am

OP- Great story.. humor can go a long way. I think you realized how silly/wrong your negative thoughts were.

PB- I find that facebook is often a good distraction for me when I'm feeling slightly anxious and need something to occupy my mind other than my worries. I wouldn't worry about having to 'participate' every day. In fact, I rarely post and it doesn't bother anyone. It's also an opportunity to be social (and positive) in your interactions with other people.

conqueranxiety88

Post by conqueranxiety88 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:54 pm

Hello, I am also placing myself in anxiety producing situations like talking to new people, doing new things to get over the fear and anxiety of doing new things

For example, I always feared going to new areas of town or meeting new people. Now I have done so in the good parts of town and even learning how to talk to complete strangers and overcoming this anxiety

However, now I am working on my Obssessive Compulsive Disorder. For example, I keep of thinking over and over things I know I did at the moment but fear I did something wrong. Can anyone help me overcome this problem Ive had for years and years? Thanks

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”