Struggling with self talk

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
natasha01

Struggling with self talk

Post by natasha01 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:42 am

i am having trouble with self talk when everything seems to be going wrong. first my roommate hasnt paid his rent by the way he is my brother and an alcoholic to top it off. then yesterday my little toy doxin went missing we have had her for 6 years but she is 11 i dont know if someone took her or if she went off to die or if an animal got her. i think the kids let her out. i keep trying to tal positively but i feel that if i wasnt having theese issues i would have payed better attition to her and she would still be with us. what can i do?????/

couturesugar

Re: Struggling with self talk

Post by couturesugar » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:32 am

Hey Natasha,

If I were going through what you're going through one of my negative thoughts might be that I'm a bad person for not paying better attention to my dog and that bad things always happen to me. I think it's important to realize that a lot of this is catastrophizing.. we tend to make a mountain out of a mole hill. Maybe a positive thought you could replace it with would be something like: it's not my fault that the dog is missing. Sometimes dogs get lost and there isn't much I can do about it, but maybe put out some fliers and hope for the best..

Good luck with all of this and work on session 3 for more help.

RenJ82

Post by RenJ82 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:26 am

Making a list of all the things you are thankful for in your life can help to override the negative things that are stealing all of your attention. I'm always surprised at how long that list is for me compared to the few negative events going on in my life. Sorry about all the bad things happening right now :(

NinjaFrodo

Post by NinjaFrodo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:56 am

natasha

Your brother who you are trying to help hasn't paid rent and he is an alcoholic, that is stressful and depressing. You obviously care about him and he is not fulfilling his responsibility and you have every right to feel the way you do about the situation and it is a difficult situation.

As for the pet I think you need to give yourself some slack here. You can't know and be aware 24 hours a day where your pet is, its impossible and you aren't in control of everybody that is around the animal. You have done a good job taking care of the pet and something happened and now its lost and unless you purposely put it on the street and lost it (dunno how you puposely lose an animal) then how is it your fault? You do have these issues and thats just where life has taken you and you have no choice but to work with them however even without the issues this still likely could have happened. People that don't have these issues are not super observant where they know exactly whats going on with everybody 24 hours a day, its not reality.

Mike

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”