BUILDING A BETTER LIFE... Session 3

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Karen L

Re: BUILDING A BETTER LIFE... Session 3

Post by Karen L » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:00 am

Hi everyone :D
been busy here...actually had a couple nice days and was able to get some yardwork done.....Im getting rid of my garden in the middle of my yard and planting grass.....and then making a garden along my fence.....this will give the kids, dogs, and grandson more room to play....also been trying to get rid of my grubs lol....
hope everyone stayed out of harms way with the tornadoes and bad weather.....here in Cleveland we had really bad winds reaching 70mph on Wed night....I was doing good until my 15yo woke me up freaking out (she is the one that is never scared lol).....anyways it was quite a struggle to remain the in control adult to my children when I was just as scared lol.....worked myself up into a state I did not like at all, but was able to just calm myself back down after about 30 minutes.....this was a bit of a difficult situation only because the external stimuli remained, so it was not all internal.....I realize that I need to work on just accepting the situation and trusting that God will get me and my family through it......I have continued to question my faith and look for answers, as I seem very confused the last few years....but I believe I am coming to good place and believe I am on the right path.......

awesome THH!!!! you recognized all your road blocks and dealt with them in positive way!!! you went through it and I can see just how pleased you are with yourself!!! congrats!!! love your thought process also :D

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:47 pm

I was listening a CD about positive thinking, I think I understand something more clearly... lets see if I can put it into words... The way our brain works, lets say that our brain is kind a concrete thinking.... if you say.."don't think of a blue elephant"... what happens???.... we think of a blue elephant.... So instead of thinking of the things we don't want, we have to think of what we want.... Think PEACE, instead of anxiety... Instead of thinking "I want the anxiety to go away"... think "I want to feel peaceful"
This has helped me with my negative thinking... I have been finding ways to change what I think to make it more positive and focused on what I want... What do you think?...

THH,
Good job on your mamogram... I also get anxious every time that I have to do that or the Pap... Not fun.

Karen,
Great job on calming yourself during the storm. I hope everybody is fine, the storms have been quite strong lately.
I am also planting grass where my garden used to be... I will also plant a few vegetables along the fence, but nothing big... I am more focused on getting the house ready to sell.

And the weekend is here again... Any plans?....
I have some house work to take care of.

Take care... Talk to you soon.
Hope

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:57 am

its a beautiful day in the neighborhood........was that Mr Rogers?? lol......going to spend the day outside :D

Hope......what an excellent concept....I am going to definitely use this :D so many times I do think "oh no here comes the anxiety" lol...

THH

Post by THH » Sun May 01, 2011 8:19 pm

Yes, Karen. "Won't you be my neighbor?" Mr. Rogers. LOL....

Hope,
Yes I do like what you said! You said it beautifully.
For me, I could add, that I have found that my what ifing, is a negative sate, or a state of confusion that causes my negative thoughts to grow and what if??? This has been some kind of pass that I have given myself to allow me to explore how negative I can get. Not realizing of coarse that it is A key to negative thoughts. So I have worked really hard to get rid of the what if's and exam what are the facts. Today is cloudy and there is a out door activity. I could say what if it rains? That causes doubt that I may not want to be out side. "It might rain????" Instead I know of this activity and I have decided I would like to go, so I make my decision to go and take a coat with me in-case it might rain.

I had a good weekend. Got my grass cut, first time this year. Saturday was nice all day! I worked in my yard all day. We have had the wettest April on record! There still is many areas of my yard I could not get into as water is everywhere! It was very nice being warm and in the 60*s. Good working weather.
I am trying to find something funny each day. It does seam to help make one feel better.
Hope everyone has had a nice weekend! ;)

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Mon May 02, 2011 11:42 am

Are we ready for session 4?... I guess we could always spend more time on this session, however positive self talk is something that we have to keep practicing.
It is so nice to spend time outside. My husband went fishing and I decided to start putting another flower bed in the front yard. I even went by myself to buy some bags of mulch. Usually I ask my husband to go with me so I don't have to carry them around, but this time I did it myself. :D
I will post the link to session 4.
Hope

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Mon May 02, 2011 11:48 am

Here is the link to session 4
http://forum.stresscenter.com/viewtopic ... 70&t=25197

See you there. :D

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Mon May 02, 2011 10:27 pm

just been busy with yard work here.......so nice being outside after a long cold winter :D

glad to see you have been able to get out n enjoy also THH and Hope....
see ya in lesson 4

shellys hope

Post by shellys hope » Tue May 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Any One have any advice? I have had program for 3 weeks and I belive can work BUT Im so anixous I listen to like !0 of cds in less 3weeks I want to learn so bad how change.I AM SO MISARBLE LIVING LIKE THIS.I have five children and wonderful husband.And they deserve better than what Im giving .God knows IM READY!I have a full time job and stay busy alot so how can make this work for me please help me! :(

Karen L

Post by Karen L » Tue May 03, 2011 10:43 pm

Shelly......you have to really listen to the tapes....you have to really get it....it's a gradual change that comes as you learn.....you have to remember that you didnt get this way over night and you wont get better overnight....the relaxation cd helps me alot, I do it every night....
I think my biggest obstacle is that I still sometimes fear the anxiety....Im getting better, but it takes time.....give yourself permission to take your time

mcshope

Post by mcshope » Tue May 03, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Shelly,

I understand how you feel, I was there a year ago. Take it one day at a time, nothing more. As Karen mentioned, we didn't get to this point in one day, so it won't take a day to get better. We are all working on this.
You have to listen to the CDs 1 at a time so you can really listen and put things into practice. To read and do the assignments is also very important.
I know your family is lucky to have you, they have a mom and wife that is willing to do what is needed in order to get better... in order to build a better life for you and for them.
Breath in and breath out ;) and take it one day at a time.
We'll be here if you need support.

Hope

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”