Some negative thoughts are true

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
chillgirl79

Some negative thoughts are true

Post by chillgirl79 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:23 pm

I find myself getting stuck trying to change my negative thoughts into positive thoughts. In the session 3 cd, they say that our negative thoughts aren't true... but sometimes they are! Example: "I'm so behind on my bills, and I can't pay them." That's definitely true! Or: "I can't afford to get eye glasses that I need or my toothache fixed." These are things that have negative effects on my emotions, but they're accurate. Any ideas for positive responses to these type of negative feelings? ... or do I need to take a different approach to this homework assignment? Thanks in advance for any input!

thendey

Re: Some negative thoughts are true

Post by thendey » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:18 pm

When I have thoughts like that, I rephrase them. For example, I would change, "I'm so behind on my bills, and I can't pay them" to "I'm behind on my bills, so I'm going to ask God and angels to help me to pay them." This changes the attitude that I "can't" do something to one of hope and faith. When I do ask God and angels to help me, I always receive help.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”