Exercise and panic

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
audreymg79

Exercise and panic

Post by audreymg79 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:21 pm

Lately when I exercise, I feel like im on the verge of having a panic attack. Anyone else out there have this problem?

fra22

Re: Exercise and panic

Post by fra22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:55 pm

oh yeah. my anxiety has been so bad and i been in space mode so im so afraid to work out. so how do i get better ?

mgillesp88

Post by mgillesp88 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:09 pm

I had this problem as well and began to avoid working out for a while. My heart rate would rise and i would be winded but its important to remember THIS IS COMPLETELY NORMAL WHEN YOU EXERCISE. You are more aware of these natural effects now because youre monitoring your body for the panic attack.

I took "baby steps" when getting back into the routine of exercise. Go slow and let yourself experience these feelings. Let yourself be comfortable with them. When you are comfortable, increase the intensity. You have to convince yourself that you're not gonna have an attack. Once you've done this, that fear will subside. Mine did.

dancedream

Post by dancedream » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I have the same problem, and the funny thing is ( yes funny, bcuz I'm trying to seek humor in this issue), THE FUNNY thing is that I am a dance teacher, i work w/ children so i always have to be moving and try very hard to hide the terror i have of exercising. I feel extremely depersonalized when I have to dance or do any type of movement that will speed up my hard and make me breath hard. But this is my job and its what brings me food to the table, so I really have push myself to face my fear. I have no other choice. sometimes i do tend to feel sorry for myself and i want to cry and become mad for having these feelings but I constantly remind myself that the strange feelings wont hurt me. I try my best to enjoy myself with the kids but it is hard, so Im just trying to laugh at myself :D

nycgal84

Post by nycgal84 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:14 pm

I put up a post about this last month or so - and I am having the exact same problem!! My heart starts racing - I can't catch my breath and I have trouble swallowing. Super strange because I have always been very athletic - which makes me even more upset because I know I am capable, but I am almost scaring myself out of exercising. I finally went to the gym yesterday and took it slow - which I recommend doing. I did the eliptical on a slow pace for about 15 minutes and then the bike for about 10 minutes. They are both things that don't really get your heart rate up TOO high - so they were tolerable! I was really proud of myself afterwards because I got through it! I think you should try it out! I am supposed to run a 5K at the end of the month, but I am not sure I will be able to do it because I am so afraid of getting my heart rate super high and then passing out! When I type it out - it seems so bizarre - but it is really how I feel.

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:31 am

Just make sure that you are exercising within your target heart rate!

pauly j

livelife

Post by livelife » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:44 pm

i do too! only in public like if i go for walks though. what kind of exercise do you do?

draggingsticks

Post by draggingsticks » Sun May 08, 2011 7:10 pm

ye i experience it too, just start out slow and work up. thats what i am doing, it should make you feel better in the long run.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”