How to be patient?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Lexi*J

How to be patient?

Post by Lexi*J » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:30 pm

I am a person who feels like I have to get something accomplished in my day. Its not just something its like a bunch of somethings; one thing after another. Now, I am also impatient when it comes to recovering. How do I learn to be patient with myself? Any suggestions?
Breathe

Nanner823

Re: How to be patient?

Post by Nanner823 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:17 am

The best I can say, is it took you _ years to feel this way, don't get yourself down over it not going away as fast as you want to. Great things take time, and we are great even if we haven't realized it yet.

Lexi*J

Post by Lexi*J » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:20 pm

Thanks. In my mind, I know that it is going to take long. Its a long process to change these habits. But in my heart, I do not want it to take so long. You know. Or maybe that is vice versa...
Breathe

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:48 am

I can understand where you are coming from. I think especially with anxiety, we want "instant gratification"!!
I know I have had to work a lot with the patience thing. It has helped being able to see the progress I am making. Setting small goals to accomplish keeps my mind focused on those little things that I can accomplish sooner, instead of focusing on the long term.
Someone here said something that has helped me a lot with this also. Its not the speed that matters, but the direction of where you are going!! :) :)
I think a lot of it for me, was not feeling adequate for not "doing it fast enough". Also not feeling worth it. Like I am not worth the time it will take to make these changes. So I think learning to have patience and unconditional love for ourselves is also vital in our sucess!! I think learning those skills is what will help keep our drive to continue on!! :) I think if we aren't developing those skills that is what can hold us back!!

You are worth the time!! You can make the change :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

pams

Post by pams » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Ladies,
I appreciate your comments & questions. I too have the same feelings of not being worth it. But, OF COURSE I AM!! I have to write down positive comments about myself and to set my goals! I have been feeling better about myself lately & am on lesson 3 & feel this is one lesson that I will take some time with before moving on. ;) Thank you all for being here & encouraging others. I also listen to the relaxing tape everyday, it really helps, I find that I am feel energized not sleepy afterwards. How do you guys feel after listening to the relaxing tape? Have a wonderful day everyone!
pams

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:24 pm

Nanner823 wrote:The best I can say, is it took you _ years to feel this way, don't get yourself down over it not going away as fast as you want to. Great things take time, and we are great even if we haven't realized it yet.
I agree :!:

Lynda

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:28 pm

pams wrote:Hi Ladies,
I appreciate your comments & questions. I too have the same feelings of not being worth it. But, OF COURSE I AM!! I have to write down positive comments about myself and to set my goals! I have been feeling better about myself lately & am on lesson 3 & feel this is one lesson that I will take some time with before moving on. ;) Thank you all for being here & encouraging others. I also listen to the relaxing tape everyday, it really helps, I find that I am feel energized not sleepy afterwards. How do you guys feel after listening to the relaxing tape? Have a wonderful day everyone!
pams
Sorry, but the relaxation CD actually makes me RELAXED! But I just LISTEN to the CD and I don't do the
exercises or the breathing stuff, I just listen to the calming voice and I zone out.

Lynda :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:31 pm

Lexi*J wrote:I am a person who feels like I have to get something accomplished in my day. Its not just something its like a bunch of somethings; one thing after another. Now, I am also impatient when it comes to recovering. How do I learn to be patient with myself? Any suggestions?

I find that writing down any achievements or accomplishments really helps me out. No matter how small
the achievements or accomplishments are, it makes me feel better to see that I am making SOME progress
somewhere. I agree with pams too, writing postive comments and writing down goals is a great idea.
Stay confident and keep in touch.

Lynda

pams

Post by pams » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:58 pm

Hi Lynda,
I noticed that you wrote that you don't do any of the suggestions given on your relaxation CD. Please do yourself a favor & do what she asks you to do, you will find that you get more out of the relaxation CD. You will find that it doesn't leave you tired, but instead I find that I have more energy. I am happy to report that I have made some progress on writing some positive things I have accomplished in the last few days. It made me feel good to review my success over little things than to just brush it off as "no big deal". Each one of the things I accomplished was not HUGH, but small things like, I completed all the wash for my family of 6. I helped my daughter out by cleaning one of her office jobs & did a good job. I was exhausted afterwards but it felt good. I have been working with my grandchildren on a daily chore of cleaning the kitchen after dinner, (as long as there is NO homework to do.) I've taught them how to wash, or rinse the dishes, my 12 year old granddaughter does this part of the job. My 7 year old grandson puts the dishes in the washer & my 13 year old grandson cleans the table, puts leftovers in containers for the fridge, dries all the dishes that don't go in the dishwasher, wipes down all counter tops & stove etc. Well, I didn't mean to be so specific. . . haha. . . but I think that was quite a task for me to do. Just getting them to stop playing around & complete the job was quite something. It's also very helpful that my daughter & son-in-law don't interfere with my teaching them. Otherwise I would have to scrap the whole idea cause I won't be in the middle of all of us trying to teach them to do the job. :D
I hope your day is going well, I'm still on lesson 3 cause I had some interruptions during the week & didn't get to devote the time I wanted for it. I have started walking each day, not far, just to the mailbox & back but for me that is enough, as soon as I don't feel tired out from that walk I will add more to it. Just keep going, don't stop or backslide & you will see a difference a little at a time, that's good cause it will stick.
Sincerely,
pams

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:03 pm

pams: Congratulations on your accomplishments :!: . Your grandkids are amazing :!: .

Here is what I am doing right now and thinking about..........................

Will try to work on the relaxation CD tonight :) .

Have not impleted an exercise program yet either, but I am doing okay on the food part as far as I can tell.

Weather here in Arizona is hot today, I am not looking forward to the searing heat of summer :shock: .

Working on Session Six, I have listened to the audio CD three times and did the workbook twice this past week :) .

Have read Lucindas book FROM PANIC TO POWER and I am now reading that Sam Obitz book. I ordered

a new book today on the internet and I should be getting that tomorrow. I am trying to keep my mind busy

and get back into reading, which I USED TO enjoy a whole lot.

Have not been patient recently at all, I am waiting for my "safe person" to show up any minute, but she still is not here.

Am waiting for something "amazing and astounding" to happen and that I will change overnight and become this

healthy, happy person I want to be.

Still have 9 Sessions to go on the program :!: Holy Cow :!: I am working a Session every two weeks, having no

patience there either, just want to get it done.

Also, I am weaning myself off of all of my psyche meds ( :o ) while working on the program and reading the books.

Hoping to be all "fixed" and ready to go as the "new me" within the next six months, ha ha :lol: .

Later, Lynda Lu

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”