Help! Hypochondria out of control!

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
KKross

Help! Hypochondria out of control!

Post by KKross » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:18 pm

My hypochondria and "what if?" thinking are making me miserable. On Monday night around 6:30 I got hit in the head twice at the gym. The second time gave me a nosebleed. I didn't pass out, feel dizzy, vomit, or have dilated pupils(I know all the symptoms :) ). I just took care of the bloody nose and went home. The next morning at work I felt nauseus and really weird and anxious. I had off Wed. but I noticed a slight headache. Of course I went online and looked up all the sypmtoms of head trauma and concussions. This morning I woke up with anxiety that was through the roof. I honestly didn't think I'd make it to work, but I remembered something I read in the program, "The other side of fear is freedom" so I made myself go in. I felt really spacey and weird all day, my eyes felt a little glassy at times, and had an on and off again slight headache, but I did everything I needed to do.

I talked to a nurse, an emt, and I called my doctor. They all said I probably suffered a mild concussion and not to worry about it. They said the headaches would go away in a day or so. My doctor said I would only need a trip to the ER if my headache became really severe or I started having vision problems. I told him about the glassy eyes and he didn't think it was a big deal.

The problem with anxiety, as you all know, is how to diffrentiate between symptoms of anxiety and another ailment. I don't know if the weird feelings I had Tues morning were anxiety or concussion symptoms. I have been obsessing about this the last few days, and even after talking to my doctor, I still am. I keep thinking I'll always have this weird feeling, or that my headache is going to get a lot worse. Anyone have experience with this?

great lakes blue

Re: Help! Hypochondria out of control!

Post by great lakes blue » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Hi there, KKross!

No experience quite like yours, but I will tell you, I don't like getting hit in the head, even when people are joking with me. I'm sort of unusual this way. Wow, 2 times in the gym. I think I'd be a little apprehensive about that myself. Do you think you should actually go in and have it X-rayed? There's no shame in that, you know. That might actually be a smart thing to do if you keep having problems.

Sorry this happened to you. Hope you get feeling better physically and emotionally about things. Good luck!

westlynne56

Post by westlynne56 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

I am so with you! I've suffered with hypochondria all my life. I remember telling my mother I had VD (venerial disease) when I was 11...I had no idea what it was but I'd kissed my first boy and heard that's how VD started!

It's only gotten worse, last year I suffered with terrible reflux, lost 15 lbs and got very, very scared. Amazingly I started feeling better after my endoscopy revealed no cancer--my greatest fear. I also have tinnitus which, although extremely common and in no way life-threatening, is turning me into a basket case. I keep thinking I have the WORST case ever and I'll never be able to cope, even though I know at least ten people that have it and live happy, normal, meaningful lives.

I'm trying to do what the CD's suggest, capture those scary/negative thoughts and replace them with a more positive statement. Instead of, I'll never cope, I'm saying over and over: If they can do it, so can I! Be patient, positive and persistent.

I think when we get to the part of the program where we work on obsessive scary thoughts we'll gain a few more skills to help us with our particular form of anxiety.

Good luck and hope to hear from you again.

Lynne

edieoho

Post by edieoho » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:00 pm

Gosh, this sounds all too familar to me. I, too, obcess about health issues. Trust me, you are NOT alone on this one! It all started after my best friend died of cancer over 5 years ago and now I think I have some type of cancer every time I turn around! I also have tinnitus and went through the whole brain MRI thing...it was NOT a brain turmor! I have learned to cope pretty well...some days are worse than others, but that's to be expected. Do you have trouble sleeping? If so, sleep with a small fan beside your bed and it drowns out most of the noise...it really helps me and I hope you can find relief.

Just to let you guys know that I bought this program over 10 years ago and never finished it. I think I got to step 4 and stopped. Ten years later and anxiety ridden, I re-purchased the program w/ CD's instead of tapes and am getting some real help this time. Mostly because I am bound and determined to rid myself of this problem! I know we're all in the same boat but I believe by the grace of God, WE CAN ALL GET THROUGH IT, TOGETHER! I believe the "scary thoughts" session will be a big help for me also...so hang in there and stick with the program...we're all in this together and we're here for you!

Finally, friends, I am a Christian and have this reading hung in my office. I find it really helps when my "thinking" gets going wrong...it's all about the way...GOD WANTS US TO THINK. HE ONLY WANTS WHAT IS BEST FOR US.

PHIL 4:8
Finally brethern, whatsoever things are TRUE, whatsoever things are HONEST, whatsoever things are JUST, whatsoever things are PURE, whatsoever things are LOVELY, whatsoever things ARE OF GOOD REPORT; IF THERE BE ANY VIRTUE and if there be any PRAISE...THINK ON THESE THINGS. Good luck to all and Many Blessings to you...

westlynne56

Post by westlynne56 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:37 pm

Thank you, Phil for that. The more people I speak to who have tinnitus, the more I believe I'll be able to cope with it and lead a happy, meaningful life.

Best wishes to you; it sounds as if you're detemined to get past the anxiety. I'm a strong believer in what ever you focus on, makes it so. Will look forward to hearing about your progress as you go.

Lynne

RN2010

Post by RN2010 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:34 pm

I feel like I am in the same boat as most of you! I hAve completly convinced myself that there is something wrong with my heart. Having a background as a nurse DOES NOT help! I always walk around and take my pulse. I used to LOVE to work out but now I have scared myself out of that too. This is almost ruining my whole life. I refuse to take meds as that is all the doctors want to push at me. AAAAAAAAAAAARGGGGGGhh!. I am really hoping I will someday be able to live a normal life soon!

KKross

Post by KKross » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:37 am

Hi everyone!

I have been having trouble logging onto this site, which is why it has taken me so long to reply.

Thanks for all your responses! I appreciate it.

Just so you know, I'm fine. I don't think I may have had a concussion. It may have just been my anxiety and my hypochondria. It is better to err on the side of caution, but I was making myslef crazy with all my worry.

Right now I am training for a big race/obstacle course. It is 12 miles with some crazy obstacles. I'm doing it with a group and I have been training hard. I have had some anxious/hypochondriac moments while training, but I have gotten through them and felt better afterwards. There is the physical aspect to this training as well as the emotional. It also should be a lot of fun!

How's everyone doing?

westlynne56

Post by westlynne56 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:08 pm

I am so excited for you KKross. 12KM is amazing.

I'm doing much better this week, have been keeping myself busy, doing all my lessons and journals. I've always eaten well and get lots of exercise so this week's lesson wasn't a big issue, not bad to get a refresher to know I'm on track.

Let me know how the race goes.

Wow. I'm impressed.

Lynne

KKross

Post by KKross » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:15 am

Lynne,

Thanks for responding! I'm glad to hear you are feeling better.

Keep up the good work with the exercise and eating. It really makes a difference.

This is a weird morning. It's Monday am but it doesn't feel like Monday. Do you ever have that feeling? :?

Have a great day!

jess3270

Post by jess3270 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:07 pm

RN2010: I too, have this constant thought/worry that something is wrong with my heart. Im convinced that I have mitro valve prolapse, or an arythmia, or something worse. I constantly check my pulse as well. I also went out and bought a portable blood pressure monitor and check that often too. It is so scary/frustrating! I will be fine one minute and then i feel like my heart starts to race and I am so conscious of my heart beat i feel i can feel it constantly. I dont know what to do about this. I have not had a full work up by a cardiologist, but my GP did an EKG and said it was fine. (all though (look how i thinkl) i am scared that he didnt read it right and missed something or something) ah! do you, or anyone have any suddestions? I def need some advice!...I do know that checking my pulse and BP all the time def does not help...it only feeds my fear. but I am scared and seriously think something is wrong with my heart....:-(

Thanks for anyone that can help!!!!

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”