First Trend I See - Wake up early EVERY morning with anxiety (between 3am & 5:30am)

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Mike in SV

Post by Mike in SV » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:43 am

Hi all- My first real question to the forum.

Have just started session 3 and trying to see trends and identify anxiety problems so I can get them out in the open for me.

Sleep is a problem. And has been for years now for me. I'm usually totally EXHAUSTED by 9-10pm and have no problem falling asleep. But it seems that when my body gets some level of rest, I wake up and start the worry cycle. 99%+ of the time, it's about some future event or work related issue I need to deal with. (This morning it was about a big party we are having at our house tonight! - I should be looking forward to it, not dreading it!!)

I'm trying to use the New Tools.... Recognizing the Anxiety, Telling Myself It is OK to have the feelings, Trying to Relax with Breathing (or prayer), Trying to use positive self talk.

Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. 3am is not a time that I want to get up and distract myself by cleaning my closets or something :]

Anyone deal with this type of thing or have ideas about how to make progress in this area?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

ps- this problem has been with me for a long time. I recently saw a journal entry I made in Sept of 2008 where I noted: "I have not slept well in over 18 months"!

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:42 am

Hi Mike in SV :)--Ah...you don't want to clean closets at 3:00AM...? :D I don't really want to do them at 3:00PM! But I understand your dilemma. I guess you dnn't want to try a sleeping aid, which I think that is when I first tried a Restoril and it really helped me years ago. Usually it is something else that keeps me awake to need a sleeping aid.

I think as you go through the CDs and visit here on the website, it should help you sleep better. Are you worried about something going on in your life or at work? :) Paislee

THH

Post by THH » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:35 pm

Mike in SV,
You might like to read some of the post with sleep problems. There are many post with lots of ideas to try.

As you go through the program you will learn not to live in the past ( dwell ), nor in the future ( what if). But to stay in the present moment. It is much harder than it sounds! You will learn how to plan a worry time and to write your worries down. Don't forget you may be really excited about your party!
It is taking control of your thoughts and keeping them in order. (Getting in between your rational thoughts and irrational.)
Keep a journal so you can re read what your worries were.
Good Luck! :)

Mike in SV

Post by Mike in SV » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:44 pm

Thanks for the replies and input Paisleegreen & THH.

Paislee- I've tried some "natural" sleep aids like L-Theanine and Valerian. I'd love to kick this thing without more heavy duty aids. But thanks for the comments.

In terms of the worry, it's pretty much dwelling on the future for me. Work is stressful, but when on vacation, I'll worry about other dumb stuff..like an upcoming party at my house :]. It's a total habit and addiction. Hmmmm... I'm looking forward to the future lessons and CD's.

THH- Thanks for the encouragement for keeping a journal. It is helping to bring thoughts to the surface so I can try to neutralize them. The process of addressing the negative thoughts is helping!! But not near to being there yet. Good news is that there is progress. Thank God.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”