need some help with apositive thought suggestions

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:50 am

I have two negative statements that I have a problem coming up with a positive to counter it with.

1. If I keep on building myself up and be my own best friend...won't I become egotistical?

AND

2. What if I choose not to be with God? What if I choose hell and in my heart I am really bad?

these are scary thoughts I know...but are there any suggestions for what positive thoughts to put to these? Any help is welcome.

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:19 pm

anyone want to take a bite? It doesn't have to be perfect...I'm just trying to come up with something...I know this isn't true...but a counter is difficult

JDar11

Post by JDar11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi Molly,

I am no expert, but these are the positives that I would counter those negatives with..

1. There is a difference between confident and egotistical. There is a difference between telling yourself "I a smart, funny, capable, compassionate, etc" and telling yourself "I am better than the person sitting next to me". You can build yourself up! It's OKAY. If fact, it's GREAT! It's NOT black and white. It's not a choice between "low-self esteem" and "ego-maniac". There is a middle...and to get there, you need to start talking yourself up, and there's nothing wrong with that.

2. This is a tough one! This is just my opinion, but I don't think that choosing not to be with God is the same thing as choosing hell. Choose to be good. Be good to others and be good to yourself.

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 am

oh thank you! I like these..it really helps me to get a good base to form some positives. I really appreciate this THANKS!!

AndrewG11

Post by AndrewG11 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

This is true for me also. I started to feel better and build myself up using this program and i often hit these 'lines' where i feel like i'm overstepping my boundaries and becoming too self-centered or I need to stop feeling so good, haha. And it feels negative or gives off a negative vibe because i know inside that i need to continue to build and get higher. This was valuable for me to read, because it reminded me of how each one of us has a RESPONSIBILITY to ourselves, and that the better that we get within us, the better the people around us get. These 'egotistical' thoughts are really just like outdated software we're using probably because it's something our parents told us when we were young; 'You have enough, Just be happy with what you've got, Just stop talking' whatever it is. It's really important to keep building our inner strength though because i truly believes it's a win all around for everyone.
Andrew

Molly77

Post by Molly77 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:03 am

oh andrew, good point! I so agree and i think I need to trust and have faith that when or if I get a bit overboard...I will know! I will know when the thinking has gotten on the side of ego.

I really like what you have posted thank you !

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”