THE TALKING STAIN

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Wayne S

Post by Wayne S » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:30 am

Did anyone see the talking stain commercial during the Super Bowl? My negative thoughts are often like that talking stain...a separate voice from where I am functioning...or trying to...it takes a lot of work to stop and listen to a voice I have worked hard to bury just deep enough to keep functioning at some productive level. Being overly analytical is something I have tried hard to minimize. Cataloguing/identifying negative thoughts seems terribly analytical. I feel like I am trying to do something that I am trying ultimately to stop doing. I know I need to face them and replace them instead of keeping them buried.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:02 am

I am reading ahead tody. I start the third week monday. But I find that your comment is much like my self. I need to identify negitive thoughts so I can be less analytical. I hope this is how it works. Now I can wait to start next weeks lesson! I too try to stuff or bury a lot of thoughts. Good luck this week. I truly wish the best for you.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:39 pm

Witty analogy Wayne, maybe we'll get you a tide stain stick, while i do that, I'll get myself one two, because I must admit, every waking moment, I am inundated with these thoughts. Pretty tough way to live, I can relate, just started session 3, and boy this is so me. I just can not turn it off, ever. It has been my way practically my whole life. May session 3 open my eyes wide enough to work on turning off the negativity. Good Luck Wayne, you are not alone.

Post by Guest » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:27 am

Wayne, great observation. You led yourself to your answer. In the commercial they show the stain-stick erasing the talking stain. Visualize yourself erasing the negative analytical voice like a stain. When you visualize the stain disappearing breath deep, smile, say "not today" and move to your next task. Sounds simple, but simple is sometimes how we have to mold our minds to think.

Ps. Being Analytical is not necessarily a bad thing. It's when it limits your ability to move forward that is the problem.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”