first language

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Rocky Wong

Post by Rocky Wong » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:13 am

In the workbook, it has highlighted that it is important to use your first language in your positive dialogue.

I am a Hong Kong Chinese and my first language is Cantonese. I would like to know the importance of using my first language in my positive self talk. I listen to the tape all the time that it is very nature that I use English sentence like "I am a little anxious but I would be ok."

Therefore, I am a little bit confused about whether I need to reconstruct my positive dialogue in Cantonese again.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:16 am

Great question Rocky! In general (repeat=in general- there are always exceptions) we are more likely to believe and reprogram sooner if we speak the positive in our first language.

There are variables...perhaps you have spoken English for a much longer time than Cantonese?

I would suggest that you try both at this point and see if you feel more comforted one way or the other.

Please let me know because you may be able to help others with what you find. If you want to research the "science" behind this read, WHAT TO SAY WHEN YOU TALK TO YOURSELF, by Helmstetter. Carolyn

Post by Guest » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:47 pm

Thanks for asking about using your first language when self talking. My first language is Spanish and often have caught doing self talking in English as well.

I'll try to get the book Carolyn has suggested.

Happy journey!
Ivonne

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:50 am

is there anyone that speak spanish>>???
some people might want to be on the forums, but they cant write english...

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”