Will I get past this Session?

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
Wileycry

Post by Wileycry » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:51 am

I'm having a really hard time with this session. I don't know if I should go onto session 4 or stay on this session until I can learn to love myself unconditionally. I'm trying but I can't. I hate what I see in the mirror. I work out feverishly, run, eat well but have gained 10 pounds in acouple of months. I don't understand it and it just makes me not like myself more. Am I a hopeless case, should I move onto session 4 or am I going to be stuck on session 3 forever???

Mello Nello

Post by Mello Nello » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:08 am

Wiley
Lesson 3 is a good and a tough one. I dont think any of us can love ourselves unconditionally with just 3 lessons. Its all a learning process, and with each lesson, you learn more about YOU and who YOU are!
Lesson 4 seems like it might help you with your expectations. How not over expect so much of yourself all at once... So you might go to lesson 4 and then go back and review lesson3.
im slowly learning myself if i take care of ME inside, the outside is following.. Dont Lose Hope and Dont beat yourself up.. THis is a journey, and each lesson and each step, gets you closer to your goal..... BREATHE! and RELAX, and I HOPE for YOU continued learning and success!!!:) Nelly

DebDeb

Post by DebDeb » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:29 am

I am on session 3 right now for this week and I believe she did mention that it will take a lot of practice and that Session 3 is carried forward
thru the other lessons so don't worry that you don't grasp it all just do the best you can to replace those negative thoughts with positive ones
I am going to get a spiral notepad today so I can
track those pesky negative thoughts.
We can just do the best we can!

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:47 am

I'm spending more than 1 week on session 3. I can surely list all the negative thoughts but the positive replacement thoughts sometimes are a bit tough.

Wileycry

Post by Wileycry » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:52 am

Thank you all for your replies. They are appreciated. It's just hard sometimes to find something positive to change the negative from, but I will continue to try and really, really try to love myself unconditionally. I keep telling myself everyday that I'm worthy of being loved especially by myself. So we will see what happens. I have high hopes. Also, I've noticed lately that I have fewer anxiety attackes EXCEPT after I run. It seems to trigger them. Has anyone else had this happen?? I ran 5 miles this morning and a anxiety attack has been trying to "seat" itself ever since but I'm trying to positive talk myself out of it. Can anyone help me with a suggestion on this one. Thank you so much.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:52 am

Wileycry- Your mention of anxiety attacks after a run made me remember a book I read awhile ago "The Swartzbein Principle" written by a well known endocrinologist here in Calif. She felt that over exercising was not good for people who have anxiety because it increases the adrenaline levels too much. She recommended keeping the heart rate at about 90 and no higher. Interesting.

Wileycry

Post by Wileycry » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:39 am

Wow, that is interesting. I wonder what is considered over exercising if I've ran at this same capacity for 15 years??? Hmmm Something to think about. When I get past this anxiety I wonder if it won't affect me when I run anymore. Thank you so much for the info. I asked my doctor yesterday and she felt that I was thinking about things in the back of my mind while I was running and that it had nothing to do with the actual running. All I can do is try to continue to get better and see what happens.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:53 am

Wileycry - I think what she meant by over exercising was not how long you've been exercising but when you do exercise to keep the heart rate at about 90 because when the heart rate gets higher it can actually increase your adrenaline levels which can in turn increase your anxiety.

Wileycry

Post by Wileycry » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:10 am

Thankyou, I understand that. I'm just still trying to grasp the whole concept that now that I know I have anxiety that it's affecting my whole workout routine. I've probably had anxiety for years but just started have the attacks in November. Why wasn't I affected before the attacks? Working out hard and running is such a part of my life I don't know if I could cut it back. Anyway, I guess I just need to be patient and learn more about this whole condition. Thanks so much again.

Mary Wargo

Post by Mary Wargo » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:40 am

Wileycry- I know what you mean. I was addicted to the runner's high at one time, but was forced to cut back cause my knees were getting worn out.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”