Finally joined the peer support

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:30 am

Hi guys,

This is actually the first time I joined the peer group, since I received the program. This program has taught me a lot about myself and anxiety. It is so comforting to know that someone out there can relate to what I am going through.

Because most of my anxiety attacks happen while traveling, I developed a great fear of traveling. It had a lot to do with my brother dying tragically in a car accident, and my first anxiety attack happened while driving in my car about two months after his death. It lasted from 2001 until now. I stop working, going to school (college), and traveling. It's not so bad now. I went from not driving at all and traveling only when I had to go to appts. to driving regularly. It has been a hard struggle for me, and even now I'm struggling a little. Yes, I have a full-time job, attend college, and travel, but I still suffer from negative thoughts and self-talk. Therefore, I am still suffering from anxiety. It's just not so bad now as it was in 2001 and 2002.

Session 3 is very beneficial to me. I believe that if I can stop these negative thoughts, I will be recovered from this disorder. Heck we all probably would. :)

Does anyone have any advice and/or tips that helps them manage or control their thoughts/self talk (positive or negative)?

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:43 am

I am on session three as well, but it is definitely taking me longer than one session per week and I, too, am writing on the peer support site for the first time. I felt intimidated to jump in and start talking to strangers, about my situation. Also, since we tend to have "perfectionist" tendencies, I feel I must keep the pace with the program, but I realize how silly that is and I must give myself permission to go at my own pace. I feel that I don't have the time to constantly write down my negative thoughts - even before starting the program, I knew that I was my own worst enemy and even though I could relate to "Carolyn" on the tape, about being a positive "cheerleader" for everyone else, I knew that to myself, I definitely was and am a negative thinker, creating my own grief, depression and anxiety. I don't have a problem with realizing it, I have a problem with getting over it! I'm glad to hear that this addiction can be overcome and I know it is up to me. I guess this is unchartered territory for us. Keep the faith.

Post by Guest » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:17 am

Welcome to the site DeeRose:)
Please dont feel strange about talking about this anxiety!! You have lots of people here who are going through the same disorder, same symptoms. I hope you will begin to feel comfortable here,because there are so many here who will give you encouragment and support!!!

There were a couple of lessons i took my time on also.. And thats okay...This program really honestly works!!! So keep up the good work, and come here often... Take Care Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:52 pm

It took me a couple of weeks to join this support group. It is hard for me to talk about how I feel. I have kept my feelings bottled up because I felt that I should be able to handle this problem of anxiety myself because I am a man. I realize now that I was only making things worse for myself. I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks off and on for 20 years.

I am working on session 3 and never thought that I was a negative thinker until now. I have been tracking my negative thoughts for a few days now and am shocked at how negatively I have been thinking. I am concerned that I will feel strange when I try to think positively because I am not used to it. That I won't be able to keep thinking positively in the long term and revert back to my old negative thinking habits. Has anyone else felt this way and conquered it?

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”