Finally joined the peer support

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
areese82

Post by areese82 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:52 am

I've been doing the program for just over two weeks and am now on session three. This program does make me feel better but it seems like the process is very slow. I know that changing is a slow process so that doesn't really bother me. It took me two weeks to log onto the peer support group though. I need self-efsteem and to get rid of worrysome, depressive thoughts. It semms like this program is pretty difficult to go through. I guess because it requires self-motivation which is something I need as well.

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:35 am

Hi areese82, weclome to our peer forum! I thought you did such a great job with your personal profile. Man, do I need to update mine...What do you think about the relaxation cd? I still need to work on my motivation to get this stuff done, but I do find the 3 relaxation tapes (when i can) really help me stay focused. Areese, keep posting and I'll see you in chat, sometime.. Steve

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:31 am

Hi Areese82,

CONGRADULATIONS on getting the program you made a wise choice! You are only in the beginning stages of learning your new skills. Session 3 is a very important lesson what you say to yourself can make all the difference in the world. I have gone through the program 4 years ago and believe me I was a BAD BAD NEGATIVE THINKER!
The way I used to think actually made me sick. It gave me all kinds of body symptoms, severe anxiety, depression, panic attacks and agoraphobia. I was going down the wrong road for several years and I just did not know how to come back.

I went through the program faced all of my limitations and fears that I had and came over to the other side of living a great life. I also had low self-esteem and I would worry all the time and have depressive thoughts. The program will change all of that when you learn your new life management skills.

Be patient with yourself, you have to learn how to get rid of some old bad habits of thinking negative. It takes some time and I know you will make it.

Happy Face!!!

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 14, 2007 6:43 am

I have also just found this place on the website. The first 2 sessions made me feel better, but this 3rd one is taking some doing. Don't know if I should stick with it for another week or just come back to it periodically throughout the other sessions.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:24 pm

Welcome Daisysmom,

It is always a pleasure to meet new people to join us in the community. There is always so much to talk about and new and interesting topics to be explored. You are kind of stuck on Lesson 3 (Negative and Positive Dialegue). I remember back several years ago when I was on that lesson it taught me several new things that I was not aware of.

First: Our negative thoughts CREATE OUR ANXIETY, FEAR AND OFTEN LEAD TO DEPRESSION.
WoW!!! I didn't think I thought negative I thought I was a pretty positive person. Then one day I got a little notebook out and carried it along with me in my purse and wrote down every negative thought I had. I had a lot of them, and I didn't even realize I was thinking like that.

Second: Negative thinking is a BAD HABIT!
I can certainly agree with that. I had a very bad habit of negative thinking and I mean it was really bad. I would think to myself that I was unhappy, unliked by other people, I had fears, low-self esteem, did not like or love myself, I was disappointed in my life, I never like being by myself, etc.

Third: We FEEL WHAT WE THINK!
If we think to ourselves we are unhappy or we are not liked by other people, I feel depressed, I am not good at this or that, how do you think your body is going to feel when you are telling yourself these negative thoughts throughout the day?

This lesson is one of the most important lessons of all of them! We are negative thinkers or we would not be have anxiety problems. We think negative so much that we make ourselves sick. We get anxiety, depression, panic attacks and agoraphobia. And a host of other body symptoms just by the way we think. We have to learn to turn our bad negative thinking into positive thinking which will make us feel better about ourselves, give us self-esteem, be a more caring and loving person, impower ourselves instead of bringing ourselves down.

Remember, this session is a CORNERSTONE FOR THE REST OF THE PROGRAM.

Happy Face!!!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:08 am

I know what you are saing about Session 3. I am working on it now and it is very difficult writing down negative thoughts and replacing them with positive thoughts. I know negative thinking is a terrible habit I have acquired. I need to do what Lucinda says and put up that stop sign when I have a negative thought and replace it with a positive one. It is sometimes hard to recognize a negative thought. I am going to continue with the sessions because Lucinda says we will deal with these negative/positive thoughts throughout the program. Maybe I can get a better handle on them as I progress.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi Tricia,

Please continue with the sessions you have to be patient with yourself. It takes time to think more positive you really have to work on it. After a while it becomes more easier. It was tough for me too in the beginning I used to carry a little notebook in my purse and write the negative thoughts down and replace them with a positive thought. A thought that made me feel better, more loving, uplifted my spirits. The more you think positive thoughts and negatives will slowly go away. They did for me!! Don't ever give up on this program no matter how you feel it is not working. Believe me it does work I am living proof that it does. I am out there enjoying my life again.

To your success,

Happy Face!!!

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:44 pm

D
Hi All-
I feel very inspired by this third session. Logically it all makes a lot of sense and I know that I have a tremendous amount of negative thoughts. On my own in the past I have tried to replace them with positive thoughts, but only after listening and watching session 3 do I feel I finally have the tools to effectively turn around my thinking. My problem, however, is that I don't feel better yet. I am constantly wondering and worrying if I am going through the program correctly. I am desperate for it to help and therefore really fear that I'm missing something or not doing something right. I know this is, as always, my anxiety and negative thinking weighing on me, but I can't cease this concern. I have difficulty doing the relaxation tape three times a day - when I have the time to do it I usually fall asleep. Also, I find it very difficult to pause life in order to document my incredible number of negative thoughts. Additionally I am concerned that my attention wanders somewhat when listening to the tapes - especially if it is my second or third time listening. I am trying so hard to follow the program as is suggested, but I don't feel better yet and I wonder if I'm missing something or doing something incorrectly.
Again, this is, as always, my negative thinking doubting myself, but I don't know how to make that stop. The positive replacement talk just doesn't feel real to me and I can't create a new positive habit if I don't really believe in it. I KNOW that my negative feelings create anxiety and lead to depression and breakdowns, I KNOW that I am creating how I feel, and I KNOW I am hurting myself with negative thinking...but sometimes they come on so strong and so fast that I can't waiver them with positive thinking, and sometimes I just can't in any way make myself believe the positive things I try to replace them with.
I am consumed with fear that somehow I am going to ruin this for myself or that it's not working for me...and I guess by writing here I am simply venting/ getting some feedback. It is good to be able to express this to people who will understand the anxiety, the consuming,racing thoughts, and the fear of a last resort not working.
Thanks for reading :roll:
Emily

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:21 am

Hi EmilyDiane,

You are not alone. Unfortunately it takes work to think positive when you've been negative for so long or when you have pent up anger inside. Try to at least stick with the journaling every day. Try to release the anger in your writing. I can relate to the self-doubt. Wondering if you are going to mess things up for yourself. I don't know what your spiritual beliefs are but all I can tell you to do is pray and ask God for strength and courage. Write down some positive affirmations and read them out loud to yourself everyday to help you stay grounded in what you're trying to accomplish. And maybe just listen to the relaxation tape passively while you're doing other things. It's actually pretty soothing. I think they want you to be a participant at least once a day. I don't do it every day honestly, but I do use it sometimes to help me fall asleep.

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:30 am

Hi guys,

This is actually the first time I joined the peer group, since I received the program. This program has taught me a lot about myself and anxiety. It is so comforting to know that someone out there can relate to what I am going through.

Because most of my anxiety attacks happen while traveling, I developed a great fear of traveling. It had a lot to do with my brother dying tragically in a car accident, and my first anxiety attack happened while driving in my car about two months after his death. It lasted from 2001 until now. I stop working, going to school (college), and traveling. It's not so bad now. I went from not driving at all and traveling only when I had to go to appts. to driving regularly. It has been a hard struggle for me, and even now I'm struggling a little. Yes, I have a full-time job, attend college, and travel, but I still suffer from negative thoughts and self-talk. Therefore, I am still suffering from anxiety. It's just not so bad now as it was in 2001 and 2002.

Session 3 is very beneficial to me. I believe that if I can stop these negative thoughts, I will be recovered from this disorder. Heck we all probably would. :)

Does anyone have any advice and/or tips that helps them manage or control their thoughts/self talk (positive or negative)?

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”