just can't turn off the dialogue

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:24 am

Aussie - I love it - A MUTE button - that's what I need - thats why i need to have alot going at once - tv - radio - work - so my mind isn't quiet enough to ramble

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm

i almost think this tape deals with the TRUTH more than just changing a negative thought to a positive.

it really helps to write them down and not just try to do this all in your mind.

for me i took my top 3 biggies...
1. medication will hurt me
2. if i'm driving i'll have a panic attack.
3. what if this is the start of me really going crazy?

and i worked on those.
1. millions of people take medication everyday. it comes down to quality of life. i'm under dr.'s supervision and i have researched the medicine myself. this is a route to go so i can relax some to work on lucinda's program

2. i've driven millions of times without having panic attacks, i've had maybe 5 in a car. this is an irrational fear. if i do start to feel panicky i'll use the new skills i have and i can always pull over and wait it out. discomfort always passes

3. this was a BIGGIE for me. i was scared i was going nuts or schitzofrenic or had bipolar disorder. "i have been diagnosed many times with just anxiety/panic. i have researched these disorders objectively and i don't come close to meeting the criteria for them. this is irrational. what is really bothering? then i figure that out and change it to the TRUTH/a Positive also.

after awhile it's like the neg. thought pops up and you search through a little file in your brain with the truth/postive statement and after awhile it sinks in to your stubborn hard heads.

just make sure to write down ALL the negatives you have and tackle them one by one. i did it from biggest fears to smaller ones and it works.

just a sidenote. i'm on klonopin. very small dosage daily and sometimes i take 1/2 what i'm prescribed..

soon i'm gonna have to work on the "OMG i'm scared of withdrawls and panic coming back B.S." i'll do it the same way i did it with my other biggies.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:41 am

I'm right there with you. I'm trying so hard to pull myself out of this depression but the negative thinking overwhelms me. I feel much better when my 9 year old son is home but when I'm home alone its so uncomfortable. I'm a stay at home mom and my son is struggling with ADHD and anxiety himself which is what brought on this episode. I thought I was this great parent but didn't realize how much my anxiety and my husband's anxiety was affecting my son. So of course the negative thinking doesn't stop. My perfectionism is ruining me and rubbing off on my son. I'm doing yoga and the relaxation tape which is helpful. My son likes the relaxation tape at bedtime to help him fall asleep. I know I make things seem so much worse in my head but I don't know how to stop it. I've become so isolated that its hard to get out there again. I'm waiting for some volunteer opportunities to help me keep busy. I can totally relate and its good to know I'm not alone in all this. I never post to anything like this but I'm so motivated to overcome all this anxiety.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:36 am

Aussieauntie try this:
I've made a menu ( Just like in the restaurant. ) One side is filled with negative thoughts and the other side with positive ones.

Now everymorning, I look at this menu and I ask myself which side of the menu do I choose to be on?

And I work hard to stay on that side on the menu. Now the menu changes as I keep adding to it, so it never remains dull,,, I make it exciting as possible.

Also more and more I use the word Terrific..
EXAMPLE:
How are you..? I reply terrific, even when I not..
Instead of saying ... Oh not that good today..
I'm trying to fill my heart and mind with good thoughts and feeling,,, hoping at the end that is the person I will become.
As the negative made me become anxious, the positive will make me alive and me once again.

Hope this works..

Remember .... Aussieauntie... How do you feel???

answer.... TERRIFIC.... ha
Ciao Steven

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:51 pm

I agree with all the posts ahead of me......JUST REMEMBER you won't feel it right off the bat you have got to keep with it. Eventually your POSITIVE THOUGHTS will be the ones you obsess about and believe and feel. Stick with it. Check out my post about Shad Halmstetter!!

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi Aussieauntie, Hang in there. Session 3 was my turnaround week. I wrote one sentence in my journal yesterday -- "Today was a good day!" It's been a long time since I was able to say that. Obsessive negative thinking has been my burden since I was a child. There have been times when I seemed to escape it, but it always came back. This last bout drove me to buy the program. I played Session 3 repeatedly, first at home, then everywhere I went in my car. I know this session is my key to escaping the obsessive thoughts. Prior to this sessioin, I was really wondering if this program was going to work for me because I didn't suffer from panic attacks and have never really had any limitations, but Session 3 was definitely all about my behaviours. I'm excited and looking forward to completing the program and a new way of living. So hang in there. Hopefully something from the program will strike a chord within you soon, like Session 3 did for me.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:11 pm

I don't notice my negative self talk most of the time, until someone else points it out! I am finding it very hard to keep the journal of negative thoughts because I never notice I am doing it??? What do I do to take notice of it. When I do feel bad, and think back at what I was thinking about, they aren't negative thoughts, they are just worry thoughts. "what if" thoughts! HELP!!!! I am going crazy!

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Great post, Rachel.

You may think you are inadequate, aussie, and with little worth, but the truth is those are distorted untruthful thoughts you have come to BELIEVE. They hold power over you because you BELIEVE them.

Journaling is so important with this. Writing down the negative thoughts that bother you. Then work at coming up with more loving, compassionate thoughts which you can believe or at least sound reasonable to you, which can replace the negative ones over time. AT first this is hard work because we are not good at thinking well of ourselves, but in time you get pretty good and effective at it.

One thing I recommend is not to say negative things about yourself like "I just can't turn off the dialogue". This becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Keep saying things like that and you may never turn it around. I used to bash myself and call my self a dumba**, stupid, idiot, etc. This is disrespect towards our "self" and it is literal self verbal abuse. Begin to try and respect you for who you are. It's okay to make mistakes, even very dumb ones. Yes, you can turn it around, just be patient, give the program time and you'll see. Good luck to you.

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:04 pm

always amazing don

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”