need soothing thoughts for insomnia

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
sleeplessMom

Post by sleeplessMom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:46 am

I am having a lot of trouble coming up with soothing, positive thoughts related to insomnia. I go to sleep OK, but wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. I am reading Tammy's (from the StressCenter.com) book a Time to Sleep, and coincidently (!) the chapter I read last night was on soothing thoughts if you wake in the middle of the night. This is my second go-round through the program, but I could NOT come up with anything. Insomnia is a big panic trigger for me, so I feel like it is the end of the world when I can't sleep. This morning all I came up with was: "It is OK to have insomnia. It is OK to feel tired."

Any more ideas?

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:34 am

You should try chamomile tea at least half an hour before bedtime, I don't even get through half a cup and I am falling asleep in my chair. Make sure you sweeten it with honey,then you don't have a sugar high, that can also put you in high gear.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:24 am

I will try that, though my problem isn't falling asleep...it's staying asleep. I suppose I could try that in the middle of the night if I don't fall back asleep. Cup of tea and listen to the relaxation CD.

Post by Guest » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:42 pm

My doc put me on Zyprexa to help with the waking up and racing thoughts. It has also helped with the anxiety and depression. Bev

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:16 pm

hey sleepless mom. this is my issue as well. i was stressed about the lack of sleep i was getting. but, i started slowing down everything i did the next day. i told myself i don't need to be 100% today and i accually did better because i did'nt expect so much. i sometimes sleep through but, still sometimes don't. thats ok i know i will still be ok the next day! take care

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:51 pm

Melatonin does very well for me to help me sleep. It is a natural substance from plants and our bodies make it. When taken it helps produce a natural sleepy feeling fairly quickly and does it without the overwhelming feeling that some sleep meds have done to me. The brand I like best thus far is made by NOW brand, it is a chewable sublingual 3mg tab, but they also offer caps.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:38 pm

i have had insomnia for a lomg time. i hate it! i fear i will be too sick next day to do what i have to because it really does happen. sometimes while I'm awake i get angry that i have this problem. my dr. won't give me anything to help me sleep and i am angry that he wont help. it is ruining my life.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:51 pm

Maybe you can change docs and find someone who will give you something to help you sleep. Those no sense suffering with it when you can easily try meds to help. Let us know what you do. I'm up at 1:45 pm and all is well! Beverly

bna

Post by bna » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Maybe you can change docs and find someone who will give you something to help you sleep. Those no sense suffering with it when you can easily try meds to help. Let us know what you do. I'm up at 1:45 pm and all as well! Beverly

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Some soothing scripture for you. Let me know if it helps. Beverly

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, 0 LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Psalm 4:8)
I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. (Psalm 3:5) I will praise the LORD who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me. (Psalm 16:7)

By day the LORD directs his love, at night his song is with me --a prayer to the God of my life. (Psalm 42:8)

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, whether he eats little or much, but the abundance of a rich man permits him no sleep. (Ecclesiastes 5:12)

In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat - for he grants sleep to those he loves. (Psalm 127:2)

He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. (Psalm 91:1)

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”