I NEED SOME HELP

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
rmihacsi

Post by rmihacsi » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:19 pm

I’ve had one of the most struggling weeks this week that I’ve had in a very long time. I have started Week 3 and feel like I’m going downhill fast. I must say that I have been fortunate to where I do not have to take my medication for my anxiety to get through the day nor does it limit me from work, school, etc. Not that I really have a choice in the matter.

One of my major underlying problems is that I faint when I get shots or see blood. Never fails, ever since I was little to this day. I passed out getting my blood pressure done once as well. I think that what fuels my anxiety is the fact that I may ACTUALLY faint! Listening through these sessions I listen to them talk about having the fear of fainting and but you won’t but I feel like I come very close especially this week.

For the last six months I let myself go and decided to get my hair cut and colored. The whole day before my appointment I kept getting negative thoughts about “what if I pass out” and actually visualizing it happen and of coarse wondering “what will everyone think of me if I do?!” I listened to my relaxation tape, I listened to week 2 but nothing helped. I tried positive self talk but everytime I tried, its like MY MIND was WORKING AGAINST ME and would overpower me. I literally almost did not go into my appointment but did anyways, which is a good thing. However, it was a hair cut, and that has never bothered me before. WHY DO I FEEL THIS WAY? HOW DO I GET MY NEGATIVE THOUGHTS OUT OF MY HEAD? HOW DO I STOP MY ANTISIPITORY ANXIETY?

Then today, I decided to go tanning. They have a new sign in thing where you put your finger on a red light to scan your fingerprint. Believe it or not, I thought I was going to pass out. I get feeling the adrenaline pump through my body and I felt light-headed and wanted to get out of there. I felt all the symptoms that I normally do before I faint minus the blurred vision, fuzziness, etc. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING? Sitting there in the booth, althought I’ve tanned several times prior, for those 6 minutes was like hell to me.

I try to think positively, what HOW DO I DO THAT WHEN I HAVE FAINTED BEFORE AND I KNOW IT IS POSSIBLE TO HAPPEN AGAIN? WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PASSING OUT AT SHOTS THAN JUST PASSING OUT BECAUSE OF MY ANXIETY?

I’m losing my concentration and I am now getting worse than better. I want to have kids but if I cant handle a doctors office nor anything related to blood how is this possible? How can I overcome this thing?!

I need all the input I can get at this point, anyone with same experience etc. Also, I know there is a help line we can call. Can someone please give me that information?

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:31 pm

There is a number to call. It's 800-611-0857. Good luck to you. I think you should call asap. And try your visualization and breathing techniques from the relaxation tape. And try not to worry about everything right now. Just focus on one thing at a time- there's plenty of time to worry about the other later. Bev

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 pm

Hi rmihacsi,
I hope this helps somewhat but fainting when you have blood taken is a very common thing so try to remember that honey. Fainting from anxiety is very different I speak from experience from having dizziness, blurry vision, foggy head feeling for months now everyday but it is getting better with help from the program. Here is what I know as a fact it is impossible for someone to faint when your blood pressure or your heart rate is up which is what happens with anxiety. The medical reason for this is that when you faint it is from your blood pressure dropping which is impossible when you are in panic mode or severly anxious, because of the adrenaline response all that goes up automatically so it is a different thing all together. I have had such severe panic and dizziness for so long and am so terrified of fainting. What I notice from working on the program and with a coach is that I can talk myself down and breath through the adrenaline response.
I hope this helps in some way I know exactly how you feel trust me with the fainting thing. I will keep you in my prayers. PM me anytime you feel like talking.
God bless you on your journey
Mimi

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:18 pm

How do I PM you? Sorry, still learning my way around this site!

Post by Guest » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:38 pm

Dbl left click on my name and a menu will pop up and one of the prompts is to PM

Shannon C

Post by Shannon C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:15 am

If you go up to my post to you click on my name mimigirl and then options will come up and just invite me to a private topic. Hope this helps, and we can chat.
God bless
Mimi

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:32 am

hey, i was reading your post I have never actually fainted but I continually struggle with the fear that it is possible. I suffer more from depression that is caused by my anxiety. The only way I seem to get un anxiuos is by almost zoning out, watching tv, reading anything to escape real life. I also just started the third session and I feel I have gotten worse. sometimes I hear people have to go through it twice. but i also think that we may feel like we are gettiong worse because we arer finally acknowledging the problem and trying to do something about it so it makes it harder at first since we are new at this. I will keep you in my prayers. I actually had to take the semester off because my anxiety is getting the best of me. If you ever need to talk PM me. I hope all works out for you!

Post by Guest » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:28 am

Oh I can totally relate to the hair dresser thing. But my fear is throwing up. I feel like if i get stuck in a situation, I'll freak out and throw up all over the place. My friend had to come in the hair dresser with me while I was getting my hari cut, and sit in the chair next to me. I lucked out though, the woman cutting my hair also had panic disorder, so it helped calm me down a lot. But I am also having a hard time with the negative self-talk. I also feel like my mind is working against me. Like my head won't let any positive thoughts in. I find that the only way it helps is if I actually have positive thoughts written down in front of me, and I read them out loud. Kind of sucks when you're with people but at that point, I don't really care what people think lol. But just so you know, you're not alone with this session. I'm definately having a hard time with it too.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:57 pm

I can relate to you with haircuts. I think thats the worst kinda situation you could me in. Am I going get up and run out with only half of my hair done. Will everyone think I'm crazy? I actually go to a lady who can't speak english that well so I won't have pressure talk.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:10 am

As far as the dizzyness I can relate some as I also have some dizzy and foggy feeling that is why it is hard for me to drive and haven't driven (more than 1 or 2 miles) in two years and not much more before that. Combine that with feeling sick to my stomach and I just can't function very well. I have never passed out, but I am still fearful of it. I hope that you can find strength in the program to get through this and know that it is just anxiety and it will pass. I am trying to learn if I don't "feed into it" it will get better. Easier said than done!

I had to mention about the haircuts... I am have so much trouble there. I need a haircut so bad and it is a struggle every time. I break down about every 9 months when it gets ridiculous and go and get one (and it's about that time). One of my main fears is also throwing up or having to use the restroom - also don't want to run out of there with my hair half cut. Praying I can make it through it when I have to go. FLOAT DON'T FIGHT!!!

Blessings to all,
Leah

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”