Taking it a step further

Learn how to comfort yourself, encourage yourself, and like yourself. This session is chock-full of POWERFUL tools for taking charge and changing your life for the better.
DeepBlueSea

Taking it a step further

Post by DeepBlueSea » Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:34 am

Something I’ve noticed so far about the program is how negative the talk is. Prior to starting this program I had already addressed negativity by taking words “don’t, won’t, can’t, haven’t, not” etc. out of my vocabulary. Sometimes you have to use the words, but changing to a more positive tone really makes a difference. So it’s interesting going through the material and seeing a lot of “don’t, won’t,” etc. Even when they say to change your negative thought to a positive one and the positive statement is, “I won’t do that anymore,” or “That’s not the best way…” Those are still negative statements.

With that, I find listening to the audio is more anxiety provoking than if I were to have just gone about my day. Again, hearing negative stories and negative tones. I understand it’s to help us see where people came from, but I personally find it to be somewhat of a downer. I dread having to listen to it more than once. And listening to Seasion 2 again, as instructed, was one of the worst anxiety provoking audio sessions so far. Like, way to kill a mood. :-P

The other thing I thought might have been more of a key part is our media influences. I think it was talked about for a second or two. This is something else I had changed that made such a difference: taking away anything on TV that has a lot of drama, heartache, killing, pseudo-killing, violence, etc. Also with music. Just listening to uplifting, fun, encouraging music. Until this is removed, you “don’t” really realize quite how much of an influence it has on you. I look forward to finding enjoyable programs that are clean and will help me on a mental and emotional level.

This week was interesting that we are supposed to write down our negative thoughts. I thankfully “didn’t” have any, and I attribute that to the methods I’ve been previously using. I still had downs, but it helped to seek positive influences and positive tones. :-)

Thursday122723

Re: Taking it a step further

Post by Thursday122723 » Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am

Hi DeepBlueSea
I’ve found I have to adjust some of the suggestions to fit me. I can understand where you are coming from. The adjustments have helped.
Also I know what you mean by the audio sometimes being more anxiety producing. I’ve felt this. I think Lucinda says that happens because these are things we usually deal with less, so now it produces more anxiety. I want to use the relaxation audio more to help with this … I ideally want to do it several times a day.
I have absolutely reduced the negative media influences as well. Definitely makes a difference.
I think it’s great you are taking positive action.

Return to “Session 3 - Self Talk: The Key to Healthy Self Esteem”