Surprised by frequency of panic attacks

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Stephanie972

Surprised by frequency of panic attacks

Post by Stephanie972 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:24 pm

I'm finishing up week 2 of the program. Thankfully, I've found a great partner in this forum to help remind me to keep up with the homework & practice the new skills!

Without a study partner, I don't think I would have started the program yet, or if I had, I never would have made it to the end of week 2.

Does anyone else have problems with procrastination or follow-through when it comes to sticking to new, healthier habits or goals?

I know I could have put more effort into this week's practices, but I'm working right now on setting up a new schedule for myself and organizing a binder to hold all my notes. I'm also going to start journal-writing, which I keep saying I will do, but keep putting off!

This week, reading about panic attacks, I see now and I'm surprised by how often I experience them. I thought the panic attack I had out in public last month was my only one in YEARS. That embarrassing moment when I yelled at my husband in front of our kids and strangers in a restaurant is why I came back to this program, to relearn it for the third time.

I really didn't think I had a problem with panic attacks, mainly because I tried so hard to avoid situations "out of my control" that might trigger an attack out in public.

Through listening to this week's CD (I could barely handle it once!), reading the card and workbook - I'm surprised to learn I have panic attacks several times a week.

There were a few unusual, stressful events this past week that triggered them in me, but then there were normal situations like traffic or crowded aisles in the grocery store or cooking a big meal for company that I overreacted to and experienced the panicky thoughts, feelings, and body symptoms which have become a type of "norm" for me.

I'll keep working with week 2's lessons as I move on through the program.

I found, too, this week that I don't realize I'm actually having a panic attack until it's over and I'm feeling awful from the after effects.

I'm taking this new awareness as a plus! Maybe I haven't yet caught on to recognizing a panic attack BEFORE it begins (I tend to just focus on the outside trigger, like my husband leaving for a trip without me), but at least I'm realizing that I do have panic attacks much more often than I thought and journaling will help me keep track of them and hopefully find a pattern to them and recognize the "warning signs" before they get out of hand.

I hope everyone else is doing well. Having a "power partner" to team up with and chatting with new people here from the forum makes all the difference for me. Coach Chris is great, too!

NanaBJM

Re: Surprised by frequency of panic attacks

Post by NanaBJM » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:25 pm

I need a partner up . I just started week 2 today. I hope you have moved now to being well into the program :)

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”