Listening to this CD made me anxious...

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
jenannlynn

Listening to this CD made me anxious...

Post by jenannlynn » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:22 pm

I was anxious about javing time for this CD' but listening ti this CD increased my anxiety so much I couldn't finish i stening...

jenannlynn

Re: Listening to this CD made me anxious...

Post by jenannlynn » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:14 pm

Let me re-write that: I was anxious about having time for this C, but when I finally listened to it, listening to thee this CD increased my anxiety so much I couldn't finish listening...I tried to listen 3 times, & couldn't do it, though I was able to do the workbook...Anyone else have this problem?

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:32 pm

HI Jenannlynn,

It is very common to feel more anxious while starting the program. It takes courage to turn and confront anxiety like you are doing. Be kind and patient with yourself. Once you get through the first 3 lessons you are able to set a better foundation of truth and really start feeling better. We all need to understand the mind body connection so we can feel more 'in control' moving forward. It's all about control.....

Please reach out and email me if you have any questions.
Coach Chris

Stephanie972

Post by Stephanie972 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:50 pm

Yes! This CD really upsets me, too. I feel myself experiencing anxiety as the people describe their scenarios. I feel sick from listening.

NanaBJM

Post by NanaBJM » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:08 pm

Consider this cd and lesson to be enlightening rather than scary . It makes one anxious listening to others explain panic attacks that are so similar to how I feel ,but oddly there is comfort in knowing I am not alone in my symptoms and thinking . Please try again .

jenannlynn

Post by jenannlynn » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Last March, I tried going on, but the 3rd session had me realizing how mean I am to myself, & my husband (who's a therapist), returned from a trip & I was meaner to him than I was before he left. I know we may get meaner before we get better, but I suffer from a brain injury, so when my husband pointed out all the stuff I had misinterpreted in session 2, I was afraid to go on w/o someone listening w/me.

Fast forward to August, & my niece, who has anxiety & depression, was living with me, so I tried to do this w/her, but we ended up listening separately, & just discussing them. I went to my son's wedding, & people were remarking on the huge change in me--I assumed it was from the 2 sessions I did ... But my niece started jumping around, which I can't do--I swear I read not to, & I'm OCD, so I just can't jump around! But can we jump around? However, I also couldn't move past session 2, cuz in no way have I perfected it!

Eventually, I gave up...I just spent weeks on this session, terrified to move on because:
--I hadn't perfected it
--I knew what was ahead
--I just felt like my schedule was too busy!

but I need to get better--my marriage hangs on by a thread somedays, & my teen hates me!
Do I need to start all over? Session 1 & 2 are like a review for me since I live with a therapist!

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:51 pm

Hello Jen,
Thank you for writing and reaching out.
I would move forward and try to simplify the program. I would keep it simple by focusing on just one or two things to practice in each session. It's important to know we get to control how we grow and change. Trust the process. You get to set the pace. Use your 6-steps from lesson 2 to comfort yourself and breathe through the adrenaline. This is very important to understanding the mind-body connection. Remember, this is practice NOT perfection.

Also, what do you mean by: "You knew what was ahead?" There seems to be a lot of fear/resistance around moving forward? What would that fear be?

To answer your question on skipping around the lessons. Sometimes people like to do what I call a "FLY OVER" of the program. This is where they quickly go through all of the lessons and read the whole guidebook so they can get a feel for what's coming. They then return to the beginning and go through each lesson one at a time as recommended. It's important to stay positive and go at a pace that is healthy for you. Be very proud of yourself. It's the first step that is often the hardest. You're not alone. We are here to help.

Warmly,Coach Chris

Bryce_in_TX

Post by Bryce_in_TX » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:44 am

Hi Jen.

You can do this. Be patient and loving to yourself. That sounds like it may be difficult for you.
Last March, I tried going on, but the 3rd session had me realizing how mean I am to myself, & my husband
Forgiveness to yourself and others is one important fundamental of CBT that one has to learn. I made a ton of mistakes with my wife and son (as he was growing up) too. I blew up at her many times when my son was still living at home and in school. I hated myself for how I acted and apologized almost every time to her. I saw how that impacted my son and hated myself for that too. He was afraid of me a lot of the time. He said I was like a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. It was too painful to endure, I thought. There were times I was so desperate that I left home because I felt it was no use trying to be different. I felt my family would be better off without me. I usually returned the next day. I was in so much emotional pain. It was horrible.

The program and a few friends on this forum helped me to change and learn to love and accept myself. Not for how I wanted to be, but for how I was in the NOW. In the present. I'd come to the forum and post that I screwed up. My best friend here would reply and it was like a healing salve to me. Sometimes I cried because of the compassion. I was so grateful. It helped me see how I needed to act toward myself.

Over time I changed how I responded to my family. It wasn't perfect. I still lost my temper occasionally, but I improved a lot. My son left for college before I got all my ducks in a row, so to speak. But, we have a good relationship now and we love each other very much. He's married now and is more comfortable talking to my wife and myself about intimate things because he knows he won't be judged or beaten up for what he discloses. The wife and I will celebrate 43 years of marriage in August of this year.

What I'm saying here is that none of us are perfect and some of us can fall very short of how we want to be. But, the good news is that the more you work with the program and try and change, the more you will change.

You have to let go of the past, of the times you were, as you say "mean" to your husband. You have to forgive yourself for that. Forgiveness is a process, not a one time event, usually. When the negative thoughts of how you were mean in the past come up in your mind you have to say to those thoughts something like, "stop, right there. Yes, it's true I acted that way, but that is in the past. There is nothing I can do to change what happened. All I can do is try to be different in the present. So, I forgive myself for that or those incidents. I let go of them. Go, negative thoughts. I will not let you torment me anymore. Go."

Then do something to help get your mind off the past.

You have to learn to be loving and kind to yourself, rather than beat yourself up. This is a language, a new one, that you have to learn and find your way with. As you seek to be kind, loving, and forgiving to yourself, your emotional state will gradually improve. As it improves, so will your behavior towards yourself, your husband, and your children.

All of this takes place by journaling the negative thoughts, then finding loving, compassionate, and truthful thoughts to write down next to the negative ones. Repeating this process over and over as the negative thoughts come up will help you get rid of the negative thinking. It works. It really works.

Try and be patient, loving, and forgiving to yourself. We are all born with God-given self worth. You deserve to get better.

Wishing you a pleasant Sunday. You deserve it.

Bryce
"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

Napoleon Hill

katieshrp@yahoo.com

Post by katieshrp@yahoo.com » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:44 pm

This is a really healing response. I struggle immensely with anger at myself for how my anxiety and depression have made me a pretty poor spouse. It’s healing to see that someone has made these changes. I’m ina low point right now but it helps to see someone saying it really works.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”