Week 2 Update

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
steven033

Week 2 Update

Post by steven033 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:07 pm

Hello Peer Support Team,

I just finished Week 2 and here is my progress report -- I have listened to the Week 2 CD twice and went through the Week 2 workbook readings. I exercised about 3-4 times during the week. I have cut down on my sugar and caffeine intake. I have only done a relaxation CD twice so far, but I'm hoping to do it daily this upcoming week. I "felt the fear" and walked through a few very challenging situations including leading a couple of meetings. I also did some journaling. Thanks for listening.

Feel free to give your updates as well if you'd like some support.

Blessings,
Steven

Kasher18

Re: Week 2 Update

Post by Kasher18 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:54 am

Thanks for sharing your update Steven! I think it is good you are going to try to listen to the relaxation tape more this week. I think we are supposed to listen to it so often because people with anxiety struggle to relax. Supposedly by using that tape and training our brains to relax we will be able to naturally and subconsciously calm ourselves during times of anxiety. I've been managing one time per day but wish I could do more!

Here is my week 2 reflection:

This week was a little bit hard for me because I don't really feel ready to move on. Panic attacks and anxious episodes are an area that I really struggle with and I don't feel like I've completely memorized the 6 steps or learned to utilize them successfully. I suppose that I'm going to move along anyway and just keep practicing! The biggest takeaways for me this week have been that I am my own safe place and that as soon as I feel my initial scary physical symptoms (for me this is normally a feeling of being off balance which leads me to feel like I'm going to pass out) I need to recognize it as the adrenaline response and use the steps to calm myself down. I think that re-training myself will take a lot of time and although I had multiple struggles this week I am proud of myself for staying committed to the program while on vacation.

steven033

Post by steven033 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:33 pm

Hi Kasher,

I just saw this reply and now I feel even worse for my not posting here recently!

I have listened to a relaxation CD about 6 times since I started the program. I know that is not nearly what we are supposed to, but it has been helpful nonetheless. Week 3 was really helpful for me as I think that has been the heart of my anxiety - the negative thoughts and lies I tell myself (mostly subconsciously). I started a thought journal and have tried to be more aware of negative thinking and replacing it with the Truth. I feel like I've had some real successes the past few weeks - taking risks I normally wouldn't and seeking to press through difficult situations in spite of the negative feelings.

I liked what you shared about being your own safe place and your honesty about not feeling ready to move on. Sometimes, just that awareness can help to be a catalyst for change (and sometimes not :)) I agree with you about that being our own safe place is really essential though. As long as I am looking to others, I will always be in an uncertain and vulnerable place. I'm glad that you are sticking with the program! I will try to do better on posting weekly here. Thanks, Kasher!

Steven

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:45 am

Kasher & Steven, dont worry if dont get all the material memorized you can always go back and review. Keep traveling forward on your road to recovery. Good luck. ;)

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”