Panic Attacks, public fear

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Snowden26

Panic Attacks, public fear

Post by Snowden26 » Fri May 08, 2015 5:42 pm

I bought the program in 2012 after being diagnosed with PTSD (job related) , anxiety, and panic.
I made it through about 5 weeks of the program and counseling on the side. I really started to get better. Weaned off of meds, could go to the store alone, drive out of my town.

About 3 months ago It all just started to hit me again. Almost like a rubber band that's just twisted to tight. I started seeing my counselor again (he's awesome) and I am on week 5 of the program. Have had panic attacks in th grocery, stores, social settings, or if someone stops by randomly and I have to stand there at the door I make up some excuse to let them go. I experience all the symptomds and its like there's two little inner voices telling me "Your okay, no big deal, theres no danger" and the other is like " Oh shit, here is starts again. What if you make yourself look like a fool or you pass out or you JUST CANT STAND HERE AND TALK!!!"

Idk. I feel hopeless and frustrated. Im journaling now and still doing my relaxtation cd but I just don't want this to get so bad that I am a hermit at home.
It makes me cry to think my family wants to go to Disneyland and the thought of all those people and standing in line??? geeze...

annastime1

Re: Panic Attacks, public fear

Post by annastime1 » Mon May 11, 2015 8:42 pm

I have done this program 3 times and not because it doesn't work it's because I get soo caught up in life and forget my 6 steps and I have only ever even got to session 3 lol but I can tell u the 6 steps do work just slowly go out small steps and do yr 6 steps so u r able to use them if need be when u go to Disney land keep yr head up I'm here if u need anything
Anna

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:16 pm

annastime1,
Thanks for your response. Kind of weird when the cd's encourage the peer forums but it seems like not a lot of traffic.
I am on session 6 this week. I did the program 3 years ago and it help a lot, only got to session 3 too. It does make me feel better when I can read about others experience and their stories and struggles. Makes me feel more normal in a way. I am a mom of two and have lots to look forward to and don't want anxiety ruining it for me. What other things do you do for your anxiety besides the six steps? Workout? eating?
I am on day 5 of no caffeine , feeling proud.
-snowden26

coachchris

Post by coachchris » Wed May 13, 2015 3:46 pm

Hello Again, this is Coach Chris from the coaching team here at StressCenter.

I can hear you both working very hard at your recovery.

I just want to remind you both how important it is to go through the whole program one lesson a week. Follow page 9 in your guidebook.

Some of the most valuable tools for me were found in the last few lessons on change and time/stress management. If we don't have the skills to manage life well then we just survive the anxiety and we never really thrive. I know it's hard to persevere through the program but it if you want permanent change this has to happen.

Feel free to message me if you need any help.
We are here to help.
Coach Chris

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Thu May 14, 2015 10:20 am

Snowden, I had a lot of anticipatory anxiety.Being in public,talking to people(even if I knew them),driving and especially standing in a line somewhere.The thought of having a panic attack or heart attack or just freaking out would make my head start reeling.Im sure you know what I mean.All this was happening to me and I had never even heard of anxiety,so I was kinda flying in the dark so to speak.Late one night while channel surfing(because of anxiety couldnt sleep)I came across the infomercial that would put me on the road to recovery.I found out that it was all anticipation.I was getting so worked up over something that would never come.You tell yourself that people are watching you,that they know but their not and they dont.Ask yourself this,If you were standing in line at disney and had a heart attack would you rather be alone?If you passed out?I came to realize this,I only get one ride on this rollercoaster of life and I will NOT let anxiety ruin it.The next time your standing in line turn to the person behind you and strike up conversation,it might not be comfortable but it occupies your mind.Something else that helps me is changing what if to "so what if" try it.Find another way to use your creativity. I know your a creative person just look at all the symptoms and situations you create for yourself but thats ok,we all do.I hope this helps a little,good luck maybe I will catch you on in chatroom.Thank God for the Mid-West Center. ;)

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:39 am

Coach Chris,
Thanks. I know I must finish the program this time! I am on week 6 and I'm just doing what I can through each session if I'm not ready. I just feel like a train of thought gets stuck in my head and then its there until my mind finds something else to obsess on.

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:43 am

randy c. ,

Thanks for your experience. It does help. I do often think 'everyone can probably tell im anxious and fidgety" or " they probably think I'm rude because I don't just sit and converse , I'm constantly trying to be distracted" .
My son plays baseball and at his game, I sometimes start feeling anxious and I don't think its panic but its excitement cause there game is going really well or whatever. But the feeling of excitement feel like panic. It all very exhausting but I am hoping it will get better.
Did you force yourself to go out and do things? Like did just throw yourself out there and it got better and better?

randy c.

Post by randy c. » Thu May 14, 2015 1:55 pm

Snowden, I woulnt say that I forced it nor did I throw myself into it. I think more than anything I accepted it.I finally said to myself, lets see how bad these symptoms will get.So I concentrated on how bad the symptoms were,AND NOT CONCENTRATE ON THE NEGATIVE THOUGHTS if that makes sense.I found that just accepting and not trying to fight them they went away. Every once in a while those old thoughts try to creep up on me and when I catch them I just laugh them away.I think in a short while You will too. Dont over think it. ;)

annastime1

Post by annastime1 » Fri May 15, 2015 6:13 pm

I also am a mom of 2 boys ages 10 and 14 I am on meds I only drink water and tea soo and I have the odd pepsi here and there I do try and work out but that doesn't always happen with the things going on with my boys I love my list I am very very huge on list for everything lmao I try and go for a walk everyday and u have to accept it go with it it's doesn't hurt you it's just a matter of flowing with it if u need to talk I have my email connected to my cell so if ya just send a email I can always pop on to the online chat and I'm stuck on session 2 right now bc I have been very busy

Snowden26

Post by Snowden26 » Mon May 18, 2015 5:16 pm

Thank you randy c
Very helpful advice! I appreciate your kind advice

annastime1,
I hear you . Life is SOOO busy. I have been telling myself lately "okay..so you feel anxious. So this is the start of panicky feelings...SO WHAT!" " Okay come on just feel it and if you pass out, you pass out" It does help in an odd way.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”