Hard to think happy thoughts...

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Booba826

Hard to think happy thoughts...

Post by Booba826 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:28 pm

Hi Everyone,

I started week 2 tonight. I really liked the session. I liked when the book said "you think what you feel". But I am having a problem finding positive things to think about. People in my family are old and sick, feel anxious and not being able to do things makes me feel down, and when I try to think of happy stuff its just really hard. How do you change your thinking when it feels like there is nothing positive or happy going on? I can think of a great memory, but most of my happy memories are with people who have either passed away or are very sick- and the happy thought lasts for a few seconds, until I realize they are gone now. Guess my problem is thinking more positively.

Also, anyone finding all this stuff hard to remember? I feel like it is great when I'm reading it, but when I am in an actual situation, I cant remember half the stuff I read. I may start carrying my book with me.

Midwestwmn

Re: Hard to think happy thoughts...

Post by Midwestwmn » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:06 pm

I hope this helps - the Stress staff recommends carrying the cards of the lessons you've completed, with you. That way they are like crib notes of the book without having to carry a bulky book with you.

hollidolli

Post by hollidolli » Tue May 20, 2014 5:50 pm

Carrying the cards reminds me that I am supposed to think happy thoughts but is also discouraging because the happy thoughts don't appear. Most of the time I do a list "I am alive, my parents are alive and in relatively good health, I have a roof over my head and food to eat." Saying these things, does not make me feel any happier.
I'm right with you on having a hard time believing happy thoughts.

deb123

Post by deb123 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:31 pm

This is an older thread, so I hope you went on to Session 3, which is using compassionate self talk. That will help you get to happy thoughts. It has helped me a lot.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:36 pm

I was hospitalized last year and I am still trying to find joy in my life.
The only thing that I enjoyed before my hospitalization my watching basketball games on television. I did continue doing this during the entire recent basketball season.
I watched almost every game that my team played.
But other than that, I am still trying to find something that brings me happiness.
I used to love to read books. That is one thing I want to bring back into my life,
but it seems that I lack the focus and concentration that I once had to be able
to read a book. I will try as hard as I can to bring reading back into my life somehow.
My sister says for me to go out and do something that makes me happy.
Well, I suffer from Major Depressive Disorder and people like me have a
really difficult time finding ANYTHING that makes them happy.
My sister doesn't understand that I am not the same person that I was
a few years ago.....free, independent, confident. I now suffer from
social anxiety. Years ago I drove all the way from Arizona to Idaho by
myself ! Now I can only drive ten miles from my apartment ... and then
I just want to go home. A pretty drastic change. I can only spend 1/1 hour
in the grocery store and then I must go home. If I go to too many doctors
appointments or run too many errands at one time I get exhausted...and I
want to go home. I am trying to take baby steps to help me with the anxiety,
but it is going to take time. And sometimes I just want to be "cured"
and move on with my life and be that confident, free and independent
gal I used to be. Oh, there I am...comparing my past with my present
again ! Ahhhhhh. :o