Panic attacks at work

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
jewel2024

Panic attacks at work

Post by jewel2024 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello everyone. I'm Jennifer. Does anyone feel uneasy all day at work? I keep thinking in my head these thoughts about panic attacks, like what if one comes on what will I do or what if I can't control my symptoms. I know that's what if thinking, but its soooo hard not to do. When a attack comes on at work ( usually when I'm in the bathroom or lunch hour) :? I use the steps and stay at work,but still feel anxious.

David**

Re: Panic attacks at work

Post by David** » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi Jennifer, thought I'd jump in here and say hello also let you know that I too have suffered panic attacks just about anywhere you can name including work. I went through this program in 2006 so yes I'm an old timer, lol, but they still creep in once in awhile. The best thing I can tell you to do and it does work is turn those thoughts of what do I do if a panic attack hits me at work over to forgetting about it hitting any time. I know that's hard to do so let's take it in baby steps because everything we anxiety sufferers do is done in baby steps. Tomorrow when you go into work and start to wonder if a panic attack will hit today stop and say "No I'm not going to have a panic attack anywhere in this building today" then think about your work, something nice you like to do outside and away from work, concentrate harder on your work, and when you do leave the office just look at it as what it is...a break away from work, nothing else. Keep your thoughts a positive as possible because it's the negative thoughts that get us right off. If we dwell on a negative thought long enough...like "I'm sure I'm going to have a panic attack" I'll guarantee you it will happen. If you feel like one might be trying to start switch your train of thought to something nice or pick up a conversation with someone right quick about something totally different. It takes time to retrain our thought patterns but it can be done.

I did it years ago but recently I've gone through a divorce, had a car wreck, lost a family member, had my eyes change which has fouled up my vision some...yes already been to the eye doctor and new glasses ordered, and got an ear infection so naturally I've had a lot of negative thoughts lately and WHAM 2 major panic attacks in a row. Now I'm thinking about good things and replacing the divorce is history this is what she wanted not me, the car wreck was last year and I've got a really nice new car now, people die...I can't stop that so just remember the memories and move on because that's what she would want me to do, eyes are being taken care of and the ear infection? It too will go away as soon as I'm done with these crazy meds the doctor has given me. ;)

Make sure you use Lesson 3 as much as you can in fact stay on it a couple weeks instead of just one because it's the most important lesson of all and the foundation to the entire program. Change the negatives to some positives and you will do exactly what I did 6 years ago as of Oct 13th...you will beat the anxiety all the way...and it does feel great when you do in fact you don't even think about it once it's gone.

Dave and I also work for Stress Center - I'm the Website Administrator. This is just my regular non work ID. :)

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:56 pm

I am no longer working at this time, but a few years ago
I was suffering from panic attacks constantly.
The unfortunate thing is that I had no idea what a panic attack
WAS and that I was actually experiencing one.
I went to the Emergency Room many, many times.
Why didn't someone tell me what was going on!

I am sure I had way more than one panic attack at work.
I was sometimes leaving work early because I "just didn't feel good".
I could not put words to my symptoms. What was happening to me?
One day I was feeling "wierd" at work and my co-workers/boss
actually called the fire department and the firemen/paramedics
came to our office ! Boy, was THAT embarrassing.
What a crazy experience.
They checked my pulse, blood pressure, my blood sugar,etc.
I was "OK".
I thought I may also have been experiencing a migraine, because at
the time I also had migraine headaches ( all due to depression and anxiety ).

So I just wanted to share with you the fact that I, too, have
had panic attacks at work. I have also had panic attacks during
family things. I have had panic attack feelings and I have
had to leave the situation or location and go home.
My home is where I felt "safe". It was my "safe place".

I am in recovery now, but I DID have a panic attack one Sunday afternoon recently.
I was worrying about a physical health condition that I have.
That led to catastrophizing ! My first thought was to go to
the Emergency Room. NOW I know what a panic attack feels
like and that it is NOT going to kill me or injure me.
So I used the coping skills that I recently learned to calm myself down.
I used breathing, relaxation, positive self talk....and time.
I said to myself....Lynda, if you are still experiencing these
symptoms two hours from now then you will have to re-assess the
situation to see what you should do next. In two hours I was okay.

Although I still had to experience the panic attack, my symptoms
were not at a level that they used to be a few
years ago...not by a long shot.
I was really proud of myself for being able to work through it
with a healthy and successful ending. I DID NOT go to the ER,
I did not think it was the end of the world. I was not in danger.
I realize that I will never be panic free and that a panic
attack CAN happen at any time ( I cannot predict the future).
But I know that I have the skills to help myself get through it...successfully.

LyndaLu :)

munchkin51

Post by munchkin51 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Hi Jennifer:
I have had so many panic attacks at work and before work that I had to quit my job. The attacks were making me very unreliable. So I know how you feel. I am using the skills I learned in chapter 2 and I am happy to say that I have not had a panic attack since.

peace and Love
Munchkin51

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:46 pm

munchkin:

I am so glad to hear that you are making great progress working on the program.
I hope to hear more success stories from you soon.
Keep up the good work ! :D

LyndaLu

taxiderjmist

Post by taxiderjmist » Wed May 07, 2014 8:13 am

I too have panic attacks at work linked mostly to aniticipatory thoughts about having a darn panic attack during a meeting. The round table introduction always use to bring an attack on (and sometimes still does), but studying lessons 2 and 3 have really helped. By staying focused in a meeting on what others are saying and diverting my thoughts away from "what if thinking" seems to be helping. If I'm not thinking about anxiety, than I probably won't have an attack. Stay positive and I'll do the same.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”