starting over

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
afickes

starting over

Post by afickes » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:50 pm

Hello. I have had the program for about 6 weeks. I am just getting started on the peer support because of computer issues. I was doing quite well after the first two weeks. I seemed to be having a better attitude and less anxiety. When it came to week three I was having a very hard time being positive and my anxiety worsened. I started week four and just felt that I was not and could relate but I just felt I was not ready to be at that stage. I decided to go back and restart at week 2. I just feel like I really was doing so well and then boom, I was right back at square one. Having problems going in public, obsessing about getting sick or thinking I have a serious health problem. I really dont have anyone to talk to about this because everyone I do talk to just says oh its in your head get over it. I know its in my head but getting my head to understand this is another thing. Any suggestions or anyone going through the same thing?

TheTimeIsNow

Re: starting over

Post by TheTimeIsNow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:43 am

Just don't stop and keep going!!!! It will finally click!! Really absorb the information and do the relaxation 3 times a day. It's only 15 min. If I feel like I don't have time to lay down in the middle of the day, I listen to the relaxation while I'm doing something. (Of course not while driving or operating heavy machinery) :D But it really helps to calm your body down. Take the time for yourself and don't feel guilty. We can overcome this!!!

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:36 am

TheTimeIsNow wrote:Just don't stop and keep going!!!! It will finally click!!
I have to agree with this. Also it is normal to actually feel more anxious at the beginning of the program. I think most of us have gone threw that!! Think of the changes you are working on starting. You are basically re-programming your brain... who would not get anxious about that!! I think anytime we face "change" there is a little bit of anxiousness... but this is not just a little change, this is a life change!!!

Good for you for going back. Take the program at your own pace. Spend as much time as YOU feel you need for each session!! And you can always relisten to review. I keep all the sessions in my car, and go back to ones I've already done many times. :)
afickes wrote:I know its in my head but getting my head to understand this is another thing.
This takes time, patience and persitance but it can be done!!! :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

afickes

Post by afickes » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:35 pm

Thank you both for the support. This is such a scary thing. Not only the panic and anxiety but also trying to get your life back. I really dont think I remember a time where I havent been anxious. Sometimes just alittle and others alot. I just want to able to go places with my daughter and not worry about losing it. I will get it one day I know. I am confident in myself. Getting there is just the hard part .

TheTimeIsNow

Post by TheTimeIsNow » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:02 pm

I have the same goal!!! I just want to be able to take my kids to a friends birthday party and be able to socialize and not have anxiety. I'm getting there!! So exciting. :)

Iwillbebetter

Post by Iwillbebetter » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:48 pm

I agree with the scary part, thing is we have made/are making it scarier than it really is!! :) I also want to be able to teach my children different/better than that. I don't want to "pass this any further down the line". I think the hardest part is getting past the fear/scary feelings. I know for me there was a lot of fear that I could not/would not be able to "do it". Maybe things just wouldn't click for me. Or maybe it is really something else wrong with me so this really won't help, or maybe this is just me... I guess my "what if" is really "maybe" thinking... :) I think the farther we get, the more we will see it's really not as scary as we thought!! :) the fear/scare becomes EXCITEMENT :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

LizzieBee

Post by LizzieBee » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:32 pm

afickes wrote:Hello. I have had the program for about 6 weeks. I am just getting started on the peer support because of computer issues. I was doing quite well after the first two weeks. I seemed to be having a better attitude and less anxiety. When it came to week three I was having a very hard time being positive and my anxiety worsened. I started week four and just felt that I was not and could relate but I just felt I was not ready to be at that stage. I decided to go back and restart at week 2. I just feel like I really was doing so well and then boom, I was right back at square one. Having problems going in public, obsessing about getting sick or thinking I have a serious health problem. I really dont have anyone to talk to about this because everyone I do talk to just says oh its in your head get over it. I know its in my head but getting my head to understand this is another thing. Any suggestions or anyone going through the same thing?
I actually had the same problem when I got to Session Three, and it caused me to procrastinate a lot. I stopped following the recommended schedule and wasn't doing the relaxation session everyday like I was supposed to... and then the week ended and I felt terrible that I had messed up and let myself down. So I decided to spend an extra week on it (which ended up being more like an extra week and a half, it was hard to break out of that "failure" mode) and that really helped me a lot.

So honestly, I think it's normal. You've been this way for a long time and it's just not going to be that easy to change. I think it's great that you decided to go back and try to absorb more the second time around, spend as much time as you need on it and then move on when you feel ready. But also try to forgive yourself (I know that isn't easy) for feeling anxious, you haven't failed at anything. Everyone is different and 15 weeks isn't going to be enough for some people, you may need a little longer with that session or others - but you'll get it if you keep trying.

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:04 pm

afickes wrote:Hello. I have had the program for about 6 weeks. I am just getting started on the peer support because of computer issues. I was doing quite well after the first two weeks. I seemed to be having a better attitude and less anxiety. When it came to week three I was having a very hard time being positive and my anxiety worsened. I started week four and just felt that I was not and could relate but I just felt I was not ready to be at that stage. I decided to go back and restart at week 2. I just feel like I really was doing so well and then boom, I was right back at square one. Having problems going in public, obsessing about getting sick or thinking I have a serious health problem. I really dont have anyone to talk to about this because everyone I do talk to just says oh its in your head get over it. I know its in my head but getting my head to understand this is another thing. Any suggestions or anyone going through the same thing?
I know just how you feel. I am now starting Session Six, but today I decided that I HAD to listen to the first
four Session CD's all over again :o . ( I am unemployed and I am at home a lot, so I have a lot of time :( ).
I know that Session Three and Session Four are tough Sessions but I would devote as much time to them as you can. Show yourself some compassion :) . You are trying to make a major life change and it will take some time. It took us our whole lives to learn the bad habits that we are trying to change now. You are strong, capable and intelligent. You will get through it :!: .
God Bless. :)
Lynda

dhoyt84

Post by dhoyt84 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:57 am

This is my first time on the site, Its comforting to know so many people go through the same thing. Im doing much better but right now my frustration is that it seems no matter what I'm doing its always there, Im almost always thinking about it, and worrying, then I get a bit depressed thinking what if's. Does anyone else have this problem? Im glad to know its me that is making fear seem worse, but knowing we have to change it is kinda scary. Its like self discovery. My advice to you afickes is that keep going one day at a time. I have days when I feel stuck and I just make myself do things then I find myself slowly getting better and more relaxed. I also have a fear of getting sick or throwing up so I know how you feel, but like others have said, we need to talk to ourselves and tell yourself to stop overreacting because thats what people with anxiety do. And if we dont push through it, it can be debilitating. I listen to worship music a lot in the morning in addition to my cds and it helps me focus on all my blessings. This disorder keeps us in our minds way to much, and it sad because sometimes we can't help it, but it is important to look around and know it could be worse. This is a disorder we can get control of..what a blessing :P Hope everyone has a good day!!!
God Bless

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:29 pm

dear afickes:
Don't you just hate it when people say "get over it". Ugh. These are people that just don't understand
our condition and what we are going through. A few years back I was having major problems with the
panic attacks/anxiety/depression and I know that no one around me knew what I was going through.
Sometimes people just give you "looks" that say "get over it". Or how about when people say or think
"just snap out of it". (Sigh). I know that my sister understands my condition to a certain degree, but she
does not understand it fully. Everyone in my family is quiet and doesn't talk about things. If we
talked about these things we could all understand each other better, but I don't count on anyone talking
in my family soon.
PS: I am trying to start on Session Six now and I just starting reading that Sam Obitz book.
Lynda

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”