Can't get myself to drive! Anyone else?

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
hopefull418

Can't get myself to drive! Anyone else?

Post by hopefull418 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:35 pm

I am in week 2 of the session, my main crutch is fear of driving, it seems everytime I am getting ready to drive I get nervous so I can't go anywhere. My fear is that I will get a panic attack and then get into an accident. I can drive ok when someone is with me, just not alone. Has anyone overcame this, or dealing with the same issues?

Iwillbebetter

Re: Can't get myself to drive! Anyone else?

Post by Iwillbebetter » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:15 am

I do understand the fears of driving and not wanting to drive alone. Unfortunately I have always had to. So that's something I just had to do anyway there never really was the option of not. I would suggest starting slow though, and make sure you are ready. You don't have to go far to start. Maybe just out of the driveway and back. If you are somewhere with a parking lot, start with a circle or two there. Then around the block when you are more comfortable etc...

Best of luck to you, keep posting would love to hear how you do with this when you are ready. :)
"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, and it's a cirlce, circling around again it comes around again...."

ladybug_101

Post by ladybug_101 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:31 am

hi hopefull i too have fear of driving thats my main issue as well.and yes i fill better when someone is with me while driving but i havent driven in 15 yrs, i have driven with someone a few times and a few times by myself the back way to town by my self but not the high way :o

chanel.mcnally

Post by chanel.mcnally » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:32 pm

I fear driving also.... But my thing is that I feel weird. I feel like I have been drinking. Almost dis connected feeling and when I drive it gets worse. I get so worked up, I feel like I am going to pass out. I have not driven on the highway in almost 10 yrs.

ladybug_101

Post by ladybug_101 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:40 am

Chanel Mcnally I TO HAVE HAD THOSE SAME FEARS AND FILLINGS AND ITS NOT PLEASANT!!! THATS ONE OF MY MAIN FEARS IS PASSING OUT WHILE DRIVING :o That is the main reason i quit driving because one day while driving home from wk , it slowly came on like i felt like i was not able to see very well thought to myself humm i must need new glasses crazy i know :roll: the futher i went the worse it got, but then it changed from not thinking i cld see well to disorentation dizzyness , it was like i cld not make a decision should i slow down or should i speed up or should i stop, but i kept driving and i know its crazy but i had the felling to this day that there was no one on the road but me nothing behind me in front of me to the side of me like i was in a tunnel all alone :shock: thankfully i pulled over set awhile and went back to driving the same crazy filling came over me again i managed to pull over at a house and called home. I was really shook up :o that was the end of driving for me!!! BUT IAM VERY PROUD TO SAY I HAVE BEEN DOING SOME DRIVING MOSTLY ABOUT A MILE ON THE HIGHWAY AND THE REST OF THE WAY TO TOWN THE BACK ROADS TO TOWN, BUT HEY ITS BETTER THAN NOTHING , AND I HAVE NOW DRIVEN THE HIGHWAY 2 TIMES FROM TOWN WITH THE HUBBY AND IT WAS AN AMAZING FILLING FREEDOM !!!!! IAM ON SESSION 8 AND I LOVE IT I REALLY DONT WANT TO MOVE ON :D I HAVE MADE A PLAN TO DRIVE THE HIGHWAY TO TOWN AND BACK EVERY SUNDAY AND GUESS WHT I DID IT !! NOT WITHOUT SOME ANXITY BUT I USED THE SKILLS I HAVE LEARNED AND I GOT THREW IT !! BEST OF LUCK TO US ALL WORKING THIS PROGRAM WE CAN DO IT !!!

CourageousKris

Post by CourageousKris » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Such a common problem for those of us working on our anxiety. The last year has been really hard for me with driving. Before I started this program, I had to have someone drive me mostly or be with me. I missed so much work, it was awful. I now do okay with driving, but still find myself avoiding the freeway and certain very busy roads in our community. I get very light headed and "spacey" feeling. I finished the program in October, but still listen to the tapes all the time. It's constantly a work in progress and something you have to just do in little bits. I try to drive on the freeway at least once a week for a few miles and it gets better each time I do it. I try not to plan for it and just be spontaneous, so that I don't have an opportunity to get myself worked up about it.
Good luck and be sure to give yourself praise for EVERY LITTLE THING you do.
Kris

tateman

Post by tateman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 am

im glad i am not the only one with low confidence about driving . when i first started dealing with severe anxiety i had a problem with driving and i eased my way back into it and i am so glad . i would be reclusive if i couldnt drive and get out of the house when i need to. i go basically where i need to go and where i want to go and i want to branch out and go further on into a bigger town the traffic is bad but i know i caln do it if i just take my time and remain calm. every time i decide to talk about going my husband and kids act like it is a very bad idea. i guess they think i cant drive that good.it is very discouraging to say the least. how can i move on to bigger better things if i dont have any encouragment and my family is so negative. i have not had a accident in the 28 years i have been driving and i think that says somthing.enybody else have troubles with people being negative about what you can do? it is very discouraging and frustrating for me. i really need encouragment from my family. :x

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:10 pm

I had no trouble driving, I could drive around town, around the state and even out-of-state
until after my "breakdown" 5 years ago. After my breakdown I felt wierd driving, I just did not
feel the confidence that I once had. I did not drive out of town any longer, or out of state.
I HAD to drive to work. I wonder why driving is such a big issue for those with anxiety ? What
makes driving so difficult ? Just last year I drove out-of-state just to prove to myself that I
could DO IT ! I drove through Los Angeles on the freeway ! Wow, if I can drive THERE, I can
drive ANYWHERE ! I arrived back to town in one piece and satisified that I could DO IT. I still
find myself driving slower and more carefully when I am on the road, a little less self-confident
than I would like to be. And I almost never drive my mom's big "tank" of a car around town, that
thing is enormous, makes me nervous to manuver that big car in a parking lot.
Lynda :o

CreativeRach

Post by CreativeRach » Tue May 08, 2012 2:21 pm

I have had this fear, and I have been successful at slowly overcoming it. Having GPS on my phone has helped a lot. I had the fear of passing out while driving and then getting into an accident and hurting someone and intense fear of getting lost while driving and not being able to get home, and driving at night. Well, I started out small, in later sessions, after you learn the skills, they say it's time to get out and work on your avoidances and fears. I started small, driving to a new church for , which was in a different city. I started out taking side streets, and each time I got there, I rewarded myself with positive dialogue, "Yes! I made it! That wasn't so bad! Look at me! I am strong ! I will go farther next time!" The next time I did. I was anxious, but I just kept going, no panic attack, intense anxiety, but put on some good music, and just keep telling yourself you can!! I drove 70 miles the next time, and the way back was in pitchblack at night. Set yourself up to succeed! Know that you have so much support, and so many people that want to see you better. It helped when I told my friends about my anxiety, they were very supportive. You have friends here. I am glad you reached out! :) You Can do it!!!
No matter what happens, you're still ok. It's a process of recovery. :)
<3 Rach

LyndaLu

Post by LyndaLu » Tue May 08, 2012 5:29 pm

dear Creative:
Congratulations on your success ! You are doing a super job at conquering your fears of driving !
This spring I had to drive my mom's old, huge car to and from the airport to pick up relatives that were
arriving in town. I had anticipatory anxiety over the entire task for at least two weeks before the
trip. I was anxious about driving my mom's car ( I don't normally drive her car) at night way over to
the airport. My mom does not live close to the airport whatsoever, so it is quite a drive. Anyhow,
it ended up that I did NOT have to drive the huge car at night to the airport due to a flight delay.
This was bad for my relatives, as they had to stay overnight in another town before flying back to
our town. BUT it was good for me in the long run because I did not have to drive the huge car at
NIGHT like it was originally planned. I DID have to drive to the airport during rush hour, but at least
it was during the DAYTIME. It was still a challenge though, driving one hour through rush hour just to
get to the airport to pick up my relatives ( and then they arrived at an airport terminal that I had never
been to before ! ). I made it to the airport, found the terminal ( after a couple of U-turns to figure out
where I was going ), and I drove my relatives safely back to my mom's house ( another one hour trip
back to her place through rush hour ). All my anticipatory anxiety was for nothing and I succeeded
on my driving trip. And when my relatives visit was over, I had to repeat the whole process over again !
Although I still avoid driving in my mom's old, huge car at least I know that if any relatives come to
visit again, that I can conquer my fears and make that trip back to the airport with no problems.
Lynda :)

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”