What worked for me...

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Kait

What worked for me...

Post by Kait » Wed Aug 31, 2011 4:48 pm

I have found affirmations to be extremely helpful, I just have to remember to actually repeat them! I have been struggling more than usual lately, a lot is going on, family members are sick, adopted a dog etc...
This quote was given to me from my Dad, from a Dean Koontz fiction novel, but it's just stuck with me:
"Pain (anxiety/panic) can be endured only if it is embraced.
Denied or feared, it grows in perception, if not
in reality. The best response to terror is righteous
anger, refusal to be intimidated."

This was sent to me in 2009, and has taken until now, for me to really love it. Especially the end part: 'Refusal to be intimidated'. I have been repeating that all day, every day. And it has been working! I have so much trouble with nauseous for hours on end while anxious, and repeating this has made a huge difference! It has also been incredibly hard, but finally working!! I feel like I am taking control back! :D

shayds

Re: What worked for me...

Post by shayds » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:01 pm

I like it Kait, I battle the same nauseous feelings attributed to anxiety. I have been through this course before and fell off the wagon so to speak 13 years later. I was 99.9% rid of panic attacks, and lost my coping skills over time. I am re-taking the course and it is not easy to admit that you have to start over. It is very much worth it. You seem to have the right recipe for success. Best of luck to you on your journey toward a new life, free of anxiety...and those nasty nauseous feelings.

Shay

Kait

Post by Kait » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:03 pm

Thanks so Much Shay, I went through the program two years ago, same thing, success... and little by little, panic is ruining my life lately. I still harbor that fear of it. And I just keep trying to tell myself to not be afraid of it...and its FINALLY working, which I am so happy to feel! I also said to my anxiety a couple times 'Is that all you got?' I heard that somewhere else too...
At first, just muttering/thinking 'is that all you got' scared me to death! Because panic scares me! The physical symptoms (and mental) are NOTHING short of debilitating. I think, it's the scariest part of my life, ever. So for that quote to work, even 1%? I am astounded. Its actually been working for 3 days now. I actually FEEL less afraid... which has always been 'behind the scenes' for me.

tawascove

Post by tawascove » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:47 am

Well, thank you to both of you for these slumps and success stories>>>they are helping me and I have felt beyond help for 4 years now--just so darn stuck. Thank you both!

Kait

Post by Kait » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:34 am

You're welcome tawascove! I too have been SO stuck....it feels like it will never end...physically/mentally. But I tell you, if my quote doesn't work, if you can find something to stick to, that rings true to you, there is hope!! If I can do it, ANYONE can.

Paridygmn

Post by Paridygmn » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi Everybody,
I have spent most of my life having the sense there was something wrong from time to time, and making a concious daily effort to deal with my situation for 12 years. Over the course of that time I have come up with several things that have helped me deal with my stress, anxiety and depresstion.

Going over the program materials I came to understand that depression is the result of stress and anxiety, so if you can control stress and anxiety, depression would be automatically under control as a result. This thought alone not only helped me feel better about my condition, but also gave me direction on how to deal with things.

Keeping a journal helped to unearth a lot of issues I had. I was able to look at myself objectively, record "ah-ha" moments and have information to build on. Keeping a journal had to be one of the most important factors that helped me to move forward and gain better control of my life.

Recently I came to understand that I was angry about a lot of things, from the time I woke up in the morning (hating feeling tired in the morning), to hating having to go to be or not having gone to bed soon enough and knowing I wont get enough sleep or would wake up late and most of my day being gone. I was not just being angry, but also being scared about many things. I thought about how I was drowning in student loans, bad credit, having background checks when I looked for a job, not being able to find a job, etc., etc. etc. I was angry and scared so often, I had no idea these were thoughts that hung around in my head the same way a head ache does. I had times when I would shake from the way I felt and had to ask myself if there were ever any times in the past where I had a reason to feel afraid and shake at the same time, and that was when I was confronted with the idea of fighting someone and I came to discover that I shook because I was not making a decision about what to do in the situation, to fight or flee, I stood there and felt the stress and anxiety of the indecision and shook as a result. Understanding this, helped me to see that I was being indecisive in certian situations where I felt scared and shakey.

Every section in the program covers different topics and I find it very helpful to read a book or listen to an audio book that the same topic. For example in section 2 Lucinda mentions the phrase "feel the fear and do it anyway." She may have said it because there is a book by the same name. This book helped me to see so clearly what to expect about handling anxiety and life itself and it was a building block in helping me to handle life.

There were several other things I can mention, but I will post them later.

I hope this turns out to be a real help to someone,
Paridygmn

hacv6048

Post by hacv6048 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm

i couldn't have found a better quote in a million years. Congratulations! you have just posted something that will give a lot of people the courage and motivation to keep on fighting against this condition. I want to thank you myself because it just gave a new weapon to fight with. to keep in mind this quote will help keep strong and focus on my "righteous anger" against this condition.

thank you.

hacv6048

Post by hacv6048 » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:39 pm

i would say that what has worked for me so far is the breathing exercise. Just being able to keep calm and cool at any thought and circumstance is like magic. it helps me to keep my mind clear and look at things more realistically and objective. I think keeping calm is like the root, the base, the foundation to it all. From there it all takes the correct perspective. To keep calm and cool helps you to focus on what's really important and it helps you to absorb the information that you have to keep with you in order to overcome this condition. My thing is to keep calmed and cool and relax all the time and i can take off from there.

i can recommend to make the breathing and relaxation session your bread and butter at first. it helps me to let go of all the negative feeling, emotions and thoughts that i have always battled with that made my life a living hell.

good luck to you all and keep cool.
Relax and let it go.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”