Following the Program to Perfection

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
pamlet95

Re: Following the Program to Perfection

Post by pamlet95 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:33 pm

I am glad to hear that there are others out there struggling, as well. I am doing my best to follow everything, but it is difficult to fit everything in. I started taking notes from the workbook to help me to better remember the information. It's not journaling, but it really helps me to get some of the information to "soak" in a bit better. I am a high school teacher, so taking notes is my "thing". I am just hopeful that I will actually recover from my panic, anxiety and depression following as the program as closely as I can--which of course is causing me to worry... :?

angxt

Post by angxt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:20 pm

faith4 wrote:One thing I do recommend that the program strongly encourages is to start exercising. I have noticed a lift in my mood once I started doing some cardiovascular exercise. I am a registered nurse and also work with a cardiologist, he was absolutely right. CARDIO EXERCISE WILL INCREASE YOUR NATURAL ENDORPHIN LEVELS! You will feel better. And if you don't follow the program to perfection, hey as long as we pick up and continue, things will improve. Sometimes we have to hit bottom, to climb back on top.
I have just finished section 2 and I have not kept a journal either. I have listened to each section 3 times and done the guide book sections. The exercise advice is definitely good advice. I have the advantage of loving to hike and walk. I've hiked well over 3000 miles a year for the past number of years, and I wasn't going to let anxiety take that pleasure away from me. When I go walking or hiking, and especially while leading group hikes, I feel much better - the longer the better. It's like the "runner's high"!

faith4

Post by faith4 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 am

Yes, we are perfectionists. That is part of our personality trait we have that leads us to worry, that if we don't do it exactly as outlined, we fail. But as I'm getting more into the program, let me correct myself. As time moves on and I slowly move forward with the positive thinking, I first started replacing the negative thoughts with positive in my head instead of writing them down, being a nurse and sometimes not getting even a lunch break, stopping to write down the negative thougths just can't be done at that time, but I do try and immediately replace it with a positive in my head. I might be very busy for 2 or 3 days working 12 shifts and just don't do it, but days im off i try and at least do the journeling and the neg vs pos self talk on paper. I believe the brain will have a better chance of getting rewired if we put our thought process down on paper. The whole key is to change our thinking and do what u can, but don't just quit altogether. I see some wonderful success stories. People who have the ability to overcome anxiety disorders, depression, alcoholism, addiction, are in my have done so much more with their life and I put them on a pedistool, cause this is something other people don't understand until they have walked in these shoes. So all u perfectionists out there with worry over getting an A+ in this course, it's not what it's about. Im on week 3 and will probably stay on it a week or two longer just because life is busy right now with work, Christmas, and all the holiday madness. But my head feels a little bit better as time goes on, so there is something to be said for the program or any cognitive behavior therapy...don't give up.

ruselslus

Post by ruselslus » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:46 am

listen2music4fun wrote:I have realized that I have perfectionist tendencies. Not for everything, but for some things it is very obvious. For instance, for the program I am beating myself up that I haven't kept a jornal even tho asked since session one. So, I worry I won't "do" as well. I'm going to retrace past week or two and write times down that I felt panicky---rushing to an appt, hot and tired, etc. I also haven't been doing the relaxing dvd a couple times every day. Only one so far. =P I just need to be re-affirmed that even if I don't follow it exactly;I'm still making improvements !!
I can relate to your quote. I myself havent used my online group. Im not even sure how to use it!. I also forget the relaxation disk 2 or 3 times a week. I hope this works for me as well. I do feel that my self talk is getting better. I tend to rush everything I do throughout my day. I need to learn how to slow down!

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”