Following the Program to Perfection

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
listen2music4fun

Following the Program to Perfection

Post by listen2music4fun » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:31 am

I have realized that I have perfectionist tendencies. Not for everything, but for some things it is very obvious. For instance, for the program I am beating myself up that I haven't kept a jornal even tho asked since session one. So, I worry I won't "do" as well. I'm going to retrace past week or two and write times down that I felt panicky---rushing to an appt, hot and tired, etc. I also haven't been doing the relaxing dvd a couple times every day. Only one so far. =P I just need to be re-affirmed that even if I don't follow it exactly;I'm still making improvements !!

myeyesopen

Re: Following the Program to Perfection

Post by myeyesopen » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:13 pm

It's nice to know I'm not the only one. The life coaching session helped a lot because I don't like to journal and haven't started. I feel uncomfortable keeping a little notebook of my negative thoughts (what if someone else finds it and reads it, what if I can't pull it off, what if, what if , what if) I can't seem to get all of the steps together and listen to the program 3x a week and the relaxation 2 or 3x per day so I discussed this in life coaching and she told me to slow down and do what I can. If I pressure myself to do it the way I think it's supposed to be done, I'll get overwhelmed and quit. Journaling will come when you're ready, and getting into your own groove will come. As you start to feel better, you'll want to do it and it won't seem like one more pressure. I'm all over the board with it right now and I've just decided to accept that and do what I can. Even the little bits I'm pulling off are making me feel better. If I tell myself I have to though, it becomes a chore and something else I have to accomplish and that doesn't make me feel good. Be proud of what you have done, of the effort you've put in and the fact that you care enough about feeling better to want to be "perfect" at it. I skipped ahead to session three briefly because I felt I needed that info to help me with 1 and 2 and now I know I can do this and so what if it's at my own pace and a little scattered, it'll all come together in the end.

jettablue

Post by jettablue » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:54 pm

Yay!!! I'm not the only one feeling this way lol!!!! I have been feeling overwhelmed thinking I'm not doing the journal and I'm only listening to the relaxation cd once a day what if I messed up my chances of this working for me. It feels so good when other's can relate to you :) I also didn't realize the first week that I was supposed to spend a whole week on one session. I had already moved on to session two and began worrying that the program wouldn't work for me because I didn't follow it to a t.

Dixiesmom

Post by Dixiesmom » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:46 pm

I am also a perfectionist and feel that I must do things perfectly. Guess that is part of the reason we are here. We have to remember that life isn't perfect. Do what you can, learn what you can and grow as you go. Hey! Remember this, you have the program, so if you don't do it "perfectly" the first time around, you can always do it again.

philosiphizer

Post by philosiphizer » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:04 pm

thanks guys i can definetly relate with this post . makes me feel a lot better

John61

Post by John61 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:25 pm

I journal on my computer and password protect the file but if I do right it down I flush it down the toilet as soon as I'm done.

christieinez

Post by christieinez » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:56 am

I feel the same way! I feel that if I don't do it exactly how it is mapped out, that it won't work for me. I just need to remind myself that this is a process and WE all will get through this :D

Debbie Diestelkamp

Post by Debbie Diestelkamp » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for your posts! I feel like I am not doing it perfectly either... Just knowing there are others out there who can relate - helps. :)

faith4

Post by faith4 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:22 pm

I'm new to the program also, ordered it back in August and just now kinda getting into it. I think that this will work, but it will take time and progress is probably slow. Im just comparing it to the 12 step program I've done for addiction to drugs and alcohol. That program works, to but it takes time to change your thinking. I've been dealing with anxiety for the last 3 years and finally realized just like my past addiction, there has to b a behavior change and changing of the mind, the way we think. One thing I do recommend that the program strongly encourages is to start exercising. I have noticed a lift in my mood once I started doing some cardiovascular exercise. I am a registered nurse and also work with a cardiologist, he was absolutely right. CARDIO EXERCISE WILL INCREASE YOUR NATURAL ENDORPHIN LEVELS! You will feel better. And if you don't follow the program to perfection, hey as long as we pick up and continue, things will improve. Sometimes we have to hit bottom, to climb back on top.

christieinez

Post by christieinez » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:43 pm

faith4:

You are exactly right!

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”