How can I be sure how I'm progressing???

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
SoHopeful

How can I be sure how I'm progressing???

Post by SoHopeful » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 am

I assume that being unsure of how well I'm progressing in this program is part of this affliction of anxiety & depression. I have found that I want so badly to recover that I constantly judge the length of time & attention that I am giving to the program each day. In trying to be a perfectionist, I try to follow as many recommendations, instructions and exercises that I can, but typically I feel that I should be doing more (part of my profile of unreasonable expectations).

I guess what I am asking here is what parts of this program are "a must" to follow and what others are "do them if you can find the time". I do have quite a few other daily obligations, and even though working this program is paramount in my life, I'm finding it hard to devote the time and attention that I know that it deserves.

ie: In session 2, here is what has been recommended:

Read your card for the session 1st thing each day.
Do your relaxation CD @ least once, preferrably 3 X a day
Listen to your audio tape @ least 3 times per week
Listen to a Bonus CD if possible
Read some other motivational or educational book
Visit this site daily
(If you follow "The Challenge" for Session 2:
- there are 5 recommended Exercises for the week)
Write in you journal daily
Work in your workbook daily
(which I believe has 8 - 10 recommended Exercises for the week)
Exercise @ least 1 hr. each day
Practice your 6 steps when you feel any signs of anxiety

Etc., Etc., - w/out looking I am sure I've missed something. I really hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining, because I can assure you that I am not! It is just VERY important to me to do this program to the best of my ability, and since I am completely unaware, I would really appreciate some advice on which elements are most important & are the core of success for this program.

If it is simply a matter of what works best for the individual, that's fine w/ me. I think I'm just struggling to determine the "have to's" on a daily basis. Thanks for any recommendations - professional ones would be appreciated as well.

SoHopeful :D

one thousand one

Re: How can I be sure how I'm progressing???

Post by one thousand one » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:54 am

Hi sohopeful,

I could relate to everything you said. Us perfectionist do get ourselves into trouble don't we.
Two days ago all I could think about was ANXIETY and doing the program and doing it so perfectly
that it would work faster then it was supposed to.!!!! I sat down and told my husband and he gave me
some very good advise = "cut yourself some slack". I did. I skipped one day of the program and only worked
on slowing everything I did down. Then I decided if all of the work was feeling overwhelming I would give
myself 2 weeks to do a tape instead of one. This thinking got me so back on track that I am following most
of the program daily (except for the journal where I fail miserably).

I hope my experience might be a bit helpful to you ! It sounds like you plan to hang in there and so do I.

My best to you,

one thousand one

mariajjohnson

Re: How can I be sure how I'm progressing???

Post by mariajjohnson » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Don't be so hard on yourself. It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Remember we're perfectionists...I've had the same feelings. Just keep calm and keep moving on. :)

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”