Summer breathing, help please!

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
werin585

Summer breathing, help please!

Post by werin585 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:04 am

So I was doing great till all the sudden it got hot out. My biggest fear is not being able to breathe and I'm convinced I have asthma and that hot weather and humidity means I won't be able to breathe so I go through the whole day thinking of my breathing. Freaking out!! Will all summer be like this!?

Paisleegreen

Re: Summer breathing, help please!

Post by Paisleegreen » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:32 am

Have you been to an allergist yet? You can get nose sprays and inhalers to help if you have allergies. First eliminate your physical problems for breathing by seeing a Dr and then focus on why you fear breathing if it is mental. Paislee

lorilou

Post by lorilou » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:16 am

Breathing has been a struggle for me as well. When I experienced my first full blown panic attack, I felt like I could not breath and like my throat was closing. I felt like I could not expand my lungs enough to get enough air. Anything that I felt impeded my breathing terrified me. I constantly thought about breathing which was annoying because it's supposed to be an automatic thing that our bodies do! I am two weeks into the program (I began seeing a therapist a week or so before starting the program also). The breathing has gotten better day by day. I actually have very long stretches (nearly all day) when i don't think of it at all. What helped me turn the corner with this is telling myself "I can breath. It's something my body is going to do for me no matter what. I CHOOSE not to think about it." I did not believe any of this initially but after repeating it to myself for a few days, I did start to breath easier and not think of it nearly as much. I also talked about this with my brother who suffered from panic attacks for years with the same symptoms before getting this program and totally changing his life. He reassured me that he had felt the same way about breathing and that it would get better. I trusted him and I am working to continue to feel better. You can do it!

werin585

Post by werin585 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:38 pm

Thanks so much guys. I guess I'm afraid that it's that I have ashthma or that something is wrong with my lungs. I know deep inside that it has to be the anxiety, that was how all of this started, my first attack was cuz i felt like i couldn't breathe!
I have no insurance right now so seeing the doctor at this point is out of the question! Seriously, even if someone mentions the word humidity or it's a hot one today, i freak out, i'm so frustrated!!!! I just like need someone to prove to me that I do not have any breathing troubles and that I am healthy, and that it's okay to stop thinking about my breathing, that i'm not going to stop breathing. in tears, help

ashleyserafina

Post by ashleyserafina » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:47 pm

This is not my maine fear, but it is a constant fear when summer starts...i just moved to the east coast where humidity is normal and its really scary bc it feels like it is hard to breath, which makes me dizzy which makes me scared of passing out. When i start to feel this i make sure to fan myself with something and have a cold drink with me...i hate the stuffy humid feeling tho...summer i feel like is a lot worse bc the heat intensifies your dizziness and such...

Kait

Post by Kait » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 am

I just found this thread, when I searched breathing. Thank you SO much for posting it! I too have gone through the program once a year ago with wonderful results. I am currently going through some stuff now, and anxiety is popping up.
This morning I felt like I couldn't get enough air either, no matter how many deep breathes - which feel sooo shallow! I am terrified something is wrong with my lungs as well; asthma etc. Reading your post just gave me great comfort that is not just me! When my panic attacks were at their worst, I didn't obsess over breathing then (that I can recall) I will be re-doing the program, and trying to just slow down, relax and tell myself too: "I can breathe, I just feel/think I can't." I also have to remind/keep telling myself, what I feel/think isn't always true!
Thanks again...

Sandiemcr

Post by Sandiemcr » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:54 pm

SO glad to see this. This is exactly what I feel. I was terrified of summer, because of this. The heat and humidity make my breathing more difficult. At least, it FEELS like it does, but maybe I'm wrong. It eases up for me a bit, when I turn on the air conditioner, or when I move around and get busy. I hate this. Hate it. I can handle the depression, but I hate the panic attacks, and feeling like I'm not getting enough air, and the adrenalin rushes. ugh

Jackie Chambers

Post by Jackie Chambers » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:26 pm

Feeling as though I can't breath has always been a big fear of mine also. I used to carry a very small paper bag with me and would breath into it for a couple minutes and that helps. I still carry a bag; but haven't had to use it. I am ending session 3 now and am feeling soooo much better, still getting anxious ; but all the positive talking to myself is helping alot and the breathing exercise, I do that as soon as I feel fear starting, it helps tremendously for me. I also tell myself; if I'm not having trouble breathing in my sleep I must be breathing ok. When I'm in a store if it's hot I ask other people if they are too, so I won't think it's just me. Being hot definatly dosen't help. Try to stay cool!!! :)

nbast05

Post by nbast05 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:49 am

hey guys,

I have not had an actual problem with breathing though I think about it at times when I am outside in hot weather. I mostly think about getting a heat stroke so that freaks me out a bit, but I understand that i control when I can go inside or outside. Im not going to keep overexerting myself when its hot so why am i afraid. I am not being forced to do hard tasks in the heat or not be allowed to eat or whatever it may be , so I do not know why it freaks me out. Exercising in whatever way has helped me out a lot... at first it may be scary because the symptoms when running may feel a lot like a panic attack with the breathing high heart rate sweatiness and sometimes lightheadedness and dizziness... but i started slow and have worked my way to more intense workouts... so my mind believes it is ok for my heart or lungs to feel that way at a certain point. Yes, I do get an anxious feeling at times... but it has gotten better and continues to get better through faith that everything is going to be okay and GOD is there for me. He will never let me go through something i cannot handle. I think it all just makes us stronger because look, we are making our heart and lungs work everyday harder than normal people, so hey! its positive! and also when we stop creating anxious thoughts all day we will be able to create thoughts that are amazing! People like us CHANGE THE WORLD! Lets do it!

Sincerely,
Nick

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”