Does it stop for good?

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
nycgal84

Does it stop for good?

Post by nycgal84 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:33 pm

I have been having panic attacks for about 5 years now, and in my mind, I don't see how I can make them stop forever. I had one of the worst ones ever yesterday, and I came home and listened to Session 2. After listening, I realized that I did try to do most of the things that were said - but I still felt like I was going to pass out. I couldn't swallow and had to stop and catch my breath while walking home. Today I am starting to get a bit panicked because I have nothing to do at work at my mind is wandering. My thoughts start racing and I just focus on physical ailments which leads to panic. I guess after thinking about it more - I just don't see myself ever NOT having panic attacks in my life which really discourages me.

scb77

Re: Does it stop for good?

Post by scb77 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:25 am

I completly understand what you going through. I guess the bigest thing is to stay postive. We tend to have a way of sabotaging ourselves. We tend to think very negatively. Try to think about if a good friend was trying something new or just got out of a realationship and feels like it is never going to get better. You wouldn't tell them yeah your right your proabably never going to get better. Instead you would console them and use positive words telling them they will get better. Try using that same self talk with yourself. Just a thought hope it helps.

nycgal84

Post by nycgal84 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:29 am

Thanks for your advice - I will definitely try that. Great idea!

KATM02

Post by KATM02 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:36 am

I know how you feel i've felt that way before, it's hard to remember especially for me but this way of thinking takes time to heal but it will with constant work :) Its hard though sometimes your brain just feel fried but when it does the relation tape really helps...also try to focus on the little positive yes maybe you still had anxiety but maybe it was a tad less then usual , i also i agree with the advice given previously to you and i wish you the best. Trust and believe and you will achieve my auntie used to say that and also say that in time everything works out :)

Pauly J

Post by Pauly J » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 am

I think you can recover from panic attacks! You may still experience a few of them in your life, but coping skills can help to minimize the intensity and the duration of it! 10% of the population will experience at least 1 panic attack in their life! Knowing how to deal with panic attacks can give you a new sense of hope!

pauly j

banano826

Post by banano826 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:24 pm

Wow, everyone's so encouraging on the forum! I'm so glad to hear the responses.... so real! I just realized that I have more anxiety than I thought I did, and I also hope that it will eventually end as I acquire these skills!

AimCat

Post by AimCat » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi, all. A great discussion. Staying positive, praising yourself for small improvements, and learning coping skills are all great things to remind ourselves and each other about.

NYCGal -- it may be too much of a leap to the goal of "NOT having panic attacks" in your life -- that they will completely stop forever. Pauly J has another way of expressing it "you CAN recover, but you may still experience some in your life." Maybe that seems like a small twist of the idea, but there is so much power in that idea. I, for one, would tend to think of my experiencing a panic attack (or a return of depression, which is more my deal) as my failure for not keeping it away. But this time around, I'm trying to accept my depression (read "panic attack") as part of who I am that I need to continually work on or work with and something I need to be prepared to deal with when it comes around. For me, that helped put it in a little less scary perspective.

Keep at it. It (YOU) will get better.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”