feeling anxious over upcoming trip

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Deborah Henry

Post by Deborah Henry » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:08 am

My husband and I will be flying to California in a couple of weeks for a family wedding. I am leaving my kids behind with grandparents. I'm nervous about flying, but even more nervous about leaving my kids and getting on a plane. I have never had a bad experience on a plane, but for some reason I am always nervous. I get caught up in the "what if " thinking. "What if the plane crashes? Who will raise my kids". And the guilt if something happens to me. Again, related to my kids being orphaned.

So tell me if I'm on the right track. I am journaling my negative thoughts. I've decided to think and speak aloud positively about the trip. I going to live/think in the present and not 2 weeks from now when I leave for the trip. I'm planning things to do on the plane. These tapes, my workbook, read a novel, etc.

I'm open to more advice...

Debbie

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:29 am

Deborah,

It sounds like you are TOTALLY on the right track! Good for you! Your fear of leaving your kids and "what if" thoughts are just one of those things we do when we can't control a situation. I'm flying too on January 7th and leaving my kids behind (one is in college, but the other is staying with grandparents too), so I am right there with you on this one!! :)

I think your journaling is an excellent idea. I'm also planning to take my relaxation CD on my trip so that I can use it if I get feeling anxious en route, etc. Even if I'm not totally actively participating in it, I am hoping that hearing it will subconsciously (and consciously) remind me to calm down, breathe, and relax...just FLOAT though it - how appropriate is THAT for flight anxiety? :)

Best wishes to you and happy travels! Our kids with both be fine...and so will we!

Best,
Dawn

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:20 am

Dawn,

Thank you so much for your empathy and encouragement. I plan on taking the program with me as well, plus another fun book to read during the flight. Today I've been talking positively about the trip and even purchased some items for the trip. I am going to do this! The Emerson quote was so relevant, thanks for including it. Have a great trip!

Debbie

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:18 am

Thanks Debbie!

A fun book is a great idea too. I have a few Nicholas Sparks books (I guess they are not as "fun" though because I always end up crying...but it's a good cry though...ha ha) I've been meaning to read...I think I need to find one to bring along too!

Happy trails! :)

Dawn

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”