panic attacks at night

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Deborah Henry

Post by Deborah Henry » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:01 pm

I haven't had a panic attack in a while because I've been on medication. However, before starting medication I was getting panic attacks not just during the day but in the middle of the night as well. Lucinda referred to these as spontaneous panic attacks. One man on the tape testified to having these types of attacks in the middle of the night. He described himself as high strung and always on the go. I would describe myself the same way. And I have been under a lot of stress in the last 3-4 years; 2 young kids, husband had cancer, I started grad school, and I was working. Anyway things are calming down now: My husbands prognosis is excellent, my kids are getting older, I am not working right now, and I graduate in May. I would like to start to wean myself off medication, but how do I get over the fear of having these attacks in the middle of the night. Do I just go for it?

Debbie

Post by Guest » Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:35 pm

I would give it a try, I had that problem also and went off the Meds and was fine. My usual daytime anxiety has returned and I'm back on Meds but I've never had the night time attacks again. The first time on Meds I did nothing except take Meds, this time around I'm in Therapy and starting this program. Hopefully things will be more permanent this time around.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:11 am

Thanks for responding John. That helps. My doctor is planning to slowly start weaning me off of meds. I'm taking daily Xanax XR and Cymbalta. I will probably discontinue the Xanax first. I agree that we must do this program or receive some other counseling to help ourselves if we ever want to be truly in control of this problem. Good luck to you.

Debbie

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:24 am

WOW, was I glad to find this.
I currently get these panic attacks at night.
I am very high strung, type A to the extreme.
I too have many stresses, my husband was in the Police Academy and away for 21 weeks, I have 3 children, work from home...no outlets.
I do see a CBT counslor, but still get these attacks nightly. I dont take any meds currently, as I had an allergic reaction to celexa, so I am afraid to take anything. (Plus my dr. wont prescribe me anything- have to see a PSY to get meds). Anyone who has had this or currently has these... advise!?
I also need advise on HOW to relax. I have been wound up for so long, I cant even sit through a movie.
Thanks!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:16 am

My anxiety is worse at night when I'm tired. I've also had panic attacks while I was sleeping. I'd wake up, gasping for air, completely terrified of, nothing, I'd run downstairs and out the door without even remembering how I got down the steps. I'd be out of breath, dizzy, and scared. I say "what the heck was I worrying about? I was asleep!" But, those always went away as fast as they came.

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22 am

TroubledSue...that is me too!!!
My husband thinks I am a freak!
I dont get it...but for me latley..its every night.

sandy krahn

Post by sandy krahn » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:33 am

Fear alone will bring them on!

Post by Guest » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:46 pm

I have panic attacks at night also sometimes and my anxiety in general seems to be worse in the evenings and night. I was on zoloft for several years and it did help but i had alot of weight gain while on it. I have been off of it for almost 2 yrs and have done well but over the last 2-3months, I've been having the episodes of racing heart, worry etc especially at night. I take a xanax when needed now. I just don't want it to get bad again.

Post by Guest » Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:34 am

cinderella,

I, too, had a bad reaction to Celexa, but I am doing very well on Xanax XR and Cymbalta. Are you using your relaxation tape. I think I would be running for that if I was having panic attacks every night. I really think medication would help you in the short term. I am seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist for CBT plus this program and I am doing very well. Keep the faith.

Debbie

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:45 am

i used to get attacks at night if i am sleeping alone. when i was living in the dorms in college i lived alone and everynight was horrible cuz i was afraid something would happen. they haven't been too bad for a while now but i occasionally get them. it makes it hard to fall back asleep cuz i am afraid i will have another one. What i have found that helps is to just try to brush it off. i will wake up suddenly in a panic and then i might turn on the lights and read a book for a while just to calm myself and try it again. if u try to ignore them they won't come. if i worry about them, they come, if i just tell myself to sleep and to ignore them. i sleep like a baby.

I hope this helps!

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”