breath 2-4

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Rocky Wong

Post by Rocky Wong » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:42 pm

I have been to the program for 10 weeks and I am already in lesson 10. However, I still cannot manage the Breath 2-4 exercise. Every time I try to do the Breath 2-4 exercise consciously, I feel my mind empty and I don't know how to response to others. Therefore, when I feel nervous, I would just do the positve self talk. Sometimes, I may automatically do the Breath 2-4 exercise automatically without my awareness. I would not feel my mind empty in such situation. However, I need to stop immediately when I am aware that I am doing it since I will have the empty feeling after I aware that I am doing it.

Could you give me any advice on how to start this exercise? Could I just practice it in the relaxation exercise using the relaxation tape and don't do it at the other time?

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am

I can relate. I just started the program... I'm on session 2, and the slow breathing doesn't seem to do what it's supposed to do to calm me down. Sometimes it even makes me more anxious. I'm hoping that it will get better in time

Post by Guest » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:44 pm

The relaxation tape is awesome, and you need to continue using it even on lesson 10,, maybe before you go to bed at night.
Anxiety sufferers tend to shallow breathe,, which means you only breath short insignificant breaths.
The 2-4 breathing exercise is good and if you practice you will be able todo with without thinking it about it...

YOu breathe IN through your nose so that your stomach rises and,, and out through your mouth to a count of four...
If your not sure your doing it right, place your hand on your stomach as you breathe in the the count of 2... It seriously does work, and even being really anxious,, it starts calming you down immediately.... I wish you both luck and keep practicing!!! Nelly:)

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey, do whatever works. That is why the relaxation tape not only covers breathing, but muscle tension /relaxation and imagery as well. I use the relaxation tape sparingly, but I do think it works well. However, I probably use positive self talk more than any other technique. I like it because it grounds me in reality and doesn't even allow me to become anxious enough to need the tape.

Remember not to beat yourself up for not doing it perfectly. We are all perfectionists remember. Do the best you can, do what works, it's no big deal.

Debbie

Mom of 6

Post by Mom of 6 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks for your advice Deborah. I agree with you that the positive self talk is the most important element to recovery. Previously, I didn't do any breath 2-4 exercise except when I listen to the relaxation tape. However, in later lessons, the speakers on the tape stress the importance of the breathing. Therefore, I wonder if I need to include it in my six steps when I feel anxious.

So, Deborah, are you doing any breath 2-4 exercise when you feel anxious?
"O God, you are my God. Earnestly I seek you;my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water. I have seen you in the sanctuary and beheld your power and your glory. Because your love is BETTER than life,my lips will glorify you. I will praise you as long as I live, and in your name, I will lift up my hands." Psalms 63

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:29 pm

I've only been doing it with the tape as well. I have used the muscle tension-relaxation in bed before falling asleep. I really haven't "needed" the breathing. I've been doing very well even now as I'm coming off my meds (yeah!). However, if I felt a panic attack coming on - then yes I definitely would start the breathing first. But lucky for me I haven't had one of those in a very long time.

Now, less than a week ago when I was 3 days into coming off Cymbalta, I woke at about midnight and felt anxious. I felt as if I was going to have a panic attack, but I started the positive self talk - it's okay, it's only anxiety, I'm anxious because I'm coming off my meds, I'll move around a bit, I'll go listen to my tape. So that is what I did. I grabbed the tape and laid down on the couch at midnight. After the tape, felt better and went back to bed. No panic attack. Remember that talk about stopping the attack before it gets to a 10? Well, that's exactly what I did.

Debbie

Post by Guest » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:59 pm

I now only do breath2-4 when I am listening to the tape. I feel that when I do breath2-4 when I am anxious, my mind is empty and it makes me don't know how to do positive thinking. As a result, I have stopped doing at when I am anxious for a few days. I feel that I can handle my positive thinking better and I am capable of doing much more things I was scare of now.

Post by Guest » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Again, do what works. When people are having anxiety attacks often they are not breathing properly. The 2-4 breathing addresses that area first. If you don't need it use the other skills that work best for you. I'm in agreement.

Debbie

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:26 pm

I think I still need some effort to learn how to breath. After I tried to do the breathing exercise a month ago, when I feel anxious and I didn't try to do the breathing exercise or slow down my breathing, I would feel anxious. However, if I try to do it, I would have the empty mind feeling. I really cannot master it at the moment and get stucked in between.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”