Panic attacks while driving

These 6 simple steps are designed to dramatically change the life of anyone who suffers from the debilitating effects of anxiety and panic attacks.
Funkspy

Post by Funkspy » Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:58 pm

My first panic attack happend to me when I was driving home from work. I thought I was having a heart attack. Heart pounding throat closing sweaty hands numbness in them as well. Dizzy spells the whole nine yards. I thought I was going to die in my car.
Last edited by Funkspy on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

INDY5QQ

Post by INDY5QQ » Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:22 pm

Just have to get back into your vehicle and drive! That is the only way I got over it. Like you, I had a major attack in my vehicle. I was about 4 hours from home in a very bad snow storm here in Michigan and one struck! It was a long 4 hour panic / anxiety attack! Once I got home I was so exhausted. I wanted to avoid both driving and being driven but I had no choice as I needed to go to work etc... Just dont avoid driving! It will get better!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:49 pm

I highly suggest that you do not associate that panic attack with driving!!! Nine chances out of ten you would have had the panic attack anyhow...

Panic attacks are not dangerous in any way...I should know, since, I practically lived in one for 21 years of my life!!! I never once had a heart attack, fainted or went crazy, and neither will you!!!

Accept those panic attacks...Ride them out...Know that you are safe and that you are scaring your own self!!!

Here is an article from the Joe Barry book which may be of great help to you!!!

Activity in the sympathetic nervous system increases our heartbeat, speeds up the blood flow throughout the body, and ensures that all areas are well supplied with oxygen and that waste products are removed. This happens in order to prime the body for action.

A fascinating feature of the fight/flight mechanism is that tightened blood vessels channel blood away from areas where it’s currently not needed to areas where it’s urgently needed.

For example, should there be a physical attack, blood drains from the skin, fingers, and toes so that less blood is lost, and it’s moved to “active areas,” such as the thighs and biceps, to help the body prepare for action.

This is why many feel numbness and tingling during a panic attack, and it’s often misinterpreted as some serious health risk, such as the precursor to a heart attack.

Interestingly, most people who suffer from anxiety often feel they have heart problems. If you’re really worried that such is the case, visit your doctor and have your heart checked. At least you can then put your mind at rest.

You need to float right through these panic attacks...Trust your body, since, there is absolutely nothing physically wrong with any part of you...

You are having anxiety and panic attacks!!! You are safe, secure and very healthy, so, you have absolutely nothing to concern yourself with!!!

Have a great night free from worry over something which is impossible to hurt you in any way :) :) :)

liberal1964

Post by liberal1964 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:59 am

Funkspy,

My panic attacks started when i was driving home from work too. At first i had difficulty breathing, then my hands and feet whent numb and dizzyness insued. In fact, all of my panic attack happened when i was driving. I know that it's scarry, but you need to know that it's not the driving that causes your attacks. What happens is that you have plenty of time to think, and analize, and your mind goes 100 miles an hour. What you need is to learn how to slow your mind down and relax. The program does a great job of teaching you how to do that. If you don't have the program, i suggest that you get it. I haven't had one of my attacks in a long time, and i drive 45 minutes to and from work. Hope this helped!!!

Bill

trizzy

Post by trizzy » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:45 pm

Hi Funkspy, I can relate to your attacks when driving. I used to drive trucks and taxis for a living. I took a drive to NJ from NC when I had my first attack. The symptoms you describe were very similar. I have to say Indy5qq is right. It's scary but if you avoid driving, it'll just get worse. I was terrified to drive to the grocery store after that 1st one (which is right down the street) but I did it and just talked myself through it, even if you have to go slow and hold up traffic a little. Just don't give up. I still am having trouble on open highways but am so much better on regular street driving. It DOES get better. Peace.

jonnisunshine

Post by jonnisunshine » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:35 pm

My first panic attack happened while i was driving too and now I am having so much trouble getting in the car by myself. Don't worry your not alone! I'm trying to fight it and keep practing driving a little bit more each day. it's hard you just got to stay postiive and keep going

DIana1968

Post by DIana1968 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:19 am

I always knew that I was not alone in suffering from anxiety and panic but coming onto this website I really understand I am not alone, it made me cry. Thank you so much.
I am using the program and feel it is helping.
I am starting a new job and I am so nervous but Iknow I will get thru it. I have to drive further than usual for this job so I am very nervous of a panic attack.

woodbridge

Post by woodbridge » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:15 am

I have a copy of the driving cd from StressCenter.com in my car. See if you can order one. You may find it useful.

WB

DIana1968

Post by DIana1968 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:15 am

What is StressCenter.com? Is it thru the program. I would be very interested in purchasing this cd. Thanks.

deedee00

Post by deedee00 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:20 am

This site is owned and run by StressCenter. You can contact them and purchase the CD.

Return to “Session 2 - Six Steps Designed to Put an End to Panic Attacks”