Anxiety/Deppression preventing pregnancy?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
harlow

Post by harlow » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:33 am

My husband and I have been Tring to Conceive two years now this month. We had several IUI's(inseninations) and five rounds of fertility drugs all with same result ..negatives!!

I seem to be fine but my husband does have some minor sperm issues but I am beginning to think my anxiety is not helping the process.

I did read some stats about that anxiety can mess with your hormones but I seem to be ovulating??

This will seem odd but I hold my anxiety in my belly(it burns) or it feels like it..perhaps it is preventing fertilization or even implantation.

Not sure but having anxiety and infertility is not a good combo.

Any insight from those who had similar experiences?

free at last

Post by free at last » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:17 pm

I also have been TTC for two years I do think stress causes this lack of fertility

harlow

Post by harlow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:42 am

Thanks for the response. I am sorry you too are struggling with this.

I am sure the stress is not good but I am wondering if this infact can prevent pregnancy. I seem to ovulate?

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

I'm sorry you're struggling this way. It took us 3 years to get pregnant. We went the IUI then IVF route then ended up conceiving naturally. After all that we figured out that it was a thyroid issue! Have you had that checked?

I'm not sure if stress can cause it because I was still stressed when I got pregnant, but it sure helped me feel better once I got there. :)
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
~~ Ronald Reagan

harlow

Post by harlow » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:26 pm

Faith thanks for your post..It gives me hope it will happen.

I have had all my hormones checked and all normal and I seem to ovulate. How does The thyroid come into play? Would it effect ovulation or hormones?

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:04 pm

If your thyroid is low it can effect ovulation. Ironically it was just when I had decided to stop trying that I got pregnant (gosh how people hate hearing that) but I had decided to let God work it out. However, on the medical side, I had just started taking some thyroid medication as well about 3 months prior. I don't take it any more, since after my kids (yes I got pregnant again after another 3 years and just didn't go on birth control).

I know it's so hard to see that one stripe on the kit every month. But have faith that it will happen when it's supposed to. I'm glad that my body waited for just the right egg to pop out and produce my Lauren. :)
~~ Ronald Reagan

mumpy

Post by mumpy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:09 pm

HI Harlow - I replied to you on your other post. I too suffer from major anxiety. We ttc'd for about 5 years - with several IUIs. I ended up getting pg just now with IVF-ICSI. You have no idea how scared I am of being pg - it was my ultimate fear. The fact that I got pg is proof positive that it's a biological situation and that anxiety or depression cannot stop you from getting pregnant.

I also feel the fear in my tummy - like a burning sensation btw. I hate it!!!
I"m currently 8 weeks pregnant and it's not easy - but I"m coping.
I strongly believe that anxiety does not cause infertility.
KUP and good luck
Love mumpy
Originally posted by harlow:
My husband and I have been Tring to Conceive two years now this month. We had several IUI's(inseninations) and five rounds of fertility drugs all with same result ..negatives!!

I seem to be fine but my husband does have some minor sperm issues but I am beginning to think my anxiety is not helping the process.

I did read some stats about that anxiety can mess with your hormones but I seem to be ovulating??

This will seem odd but I hold my anxiety in my belly(it burns) or it feels like it..perhaps it is preventing fertilization or even implantation.

Not sure but having anxiety and infertility is not a good combo.

Any insight from those who had similar experiences?

finesse

Post by finesse » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:32 am

I'm not sure that the anxiety is causing you to have infertility issues. I also hold my anxiety in my belly and I'm 2 months pregnant. My husband and I weren't trying to conceive. Maybe it effects some people and others it doesnt?

Faith_TX

Post by Faith_TX » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:31 am

My anxiety is in my tummy at times too. If I try to hide it from hubby he says he can tell by the way my breath smells. . .which is sort of a bummer. . .cuz then I'm paranoid about my breath. But . . . I know I'm having a hard time when I get that sour feeling and don't want to eat or even sometimes drink.

I have been improving so much this year though I'm so thankful!
~~ Ronald Reagan

harlow

Post by harlow » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 am

Thank you all for your insight..I really appreciate it

Return to “Parent to Parent”