Pregnancy and meds?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Hail1999

Post by Hail1999 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:24 pm

Hello, I am sort of a newbie here. I used to post 4 years ago when I started the program. I was also pregnant at the time, and I was off my Lexapro so I was trying to cope through the rest of the pregnancy. I have to say that it helped me tremendously that by the last 2 months of my pregnancy I was doing great, as in no symptoms at all. Well, eventually with life and other stressors I ended up getting back on Lexapro. Now I am pregnant again and I have been very nervous and having alot of anxiety about having anxiety that may lead to panic. My doctor has decreased me to 10 mg of Lexapro. But I am having trouble sleeping, some nights I don't sleep at all but my doctor said there is nothing safe to take. I do want the best for my baby and I feel selfish because I worry more about how I am feeling and not on how any of this will affect the baby. Does anyone have any links to websites that have information on anything that is safe to take for this anxiety during pregnancy. Or does anyone know of anything safe that is natural for anxiety or sleep. Thanks for anyones encouragement.
jtilger

Post by Guest » Tue May 13, 2008 5:50 pm

that's a TOUGH one. at the time of my pregnancy, I was just coming to terms with my anx/dep. I was so up on baby-hormones, that my depression took a short break. Then, after 8 years, I went the Wellbutrin route, which was like shining a light onto my condition & sharpening the wrist-razors. May '07 I discovered Lexapro, but have just come to appreciate it after some OFFs and ONs. I believe that Lexapro is to young to kiss & tell, but perhaps MDs and moms can fill you in on their observations / experiences?

Best wishes
HT

Post by Guest » Wed May 14, 2008 1:23 pm

Hello-just delivered baby number 3 on 4/14, and had to take meds throughout the pregnancy and post partum. Please PM me if you would like to talk more, for me it meant the difference between surviving the pregnancy and not...but I've noticed when posting in public lately on this topic there are some really conflicting beliefs, so PM is more comfortable.

Hugs, Tara

Post by Guest » Tue May 20, 2008 3:12 am

Hail,
I had previously been taking Xanax and had to d/c after becoming pregnant. OB recommended going on Zoloft for pregnancy, but after some research discovered health concerns for baby with Zoloft and brought them to my docs attn.

My OB plainly stated that they can't guarantee any newborn will not have side effects from antidepressants, but sometimes you have to weigh the pros with the cons.

When I went off the Xanax, I did take Benadryl for sleep, and my OB also recommended Unisom. It's possible, if you can take theses with Lexapro, that it might help? I'd check with your OB first before taking anything.

I've decided to try to push through this on my own and looking into alternative medicine techniques and CBT to alleviate anxiety and depression as well as OCD symptoms.
Lucie

fischee

Post by fischee » Wed May 21, 2008 3:26 pm

the problem is, some of the drugs, have been shown to cause problems, some in each of the trimesters, that it is not clear if any are completely safe. But, if you can't function without them, then definitely go over the risks with your doctor and check them out yourself

Post by Guest » Thu May 22, 2008 2:59 am

Hail1999, I went through my first anxiety attack when I was pregnant with my 4th baby. My doctor gave me Vistaril 25 MG. I took it for 5 months of my pregnancy, my baby is healthy and happy. It seemed to really help me. I hope this information helps you.

Return to “Parent to Parent”