zoloft and pregnancy

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
polishprincess

Post by polishprincess » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:49 am

I was put on wellbutrin when I found out I was pregnant. But its not doing for me what the zoloft did. I was never on a high dosage of zoloft. the highest i got up to wsa 50 mgs. I am driving myself crazy with my obsessive thoughts and thoughts of my past. It is literally killing me and my relationship with my boyfriend.
I really need help. If anyone has taken Zoloft while pregnant or if anyone knows how risky it would be to take it, I could really use the advice. Its so contreversal. Some docs say its fine, some dont recommend it at all. I need to get over this hump. I am really scared. Also if anyone has any concrete ideas on how to stop this obsessive thinking that would be great too. I need to get better and fast.
Please help me... I could use all the advice I can get.
Thanks
Tammy

Calebs Mom

Post by Calebs Mom » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:21 am

Tammy,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! I wanted to reassure you that I personally took Zoloft while pregnant with my now 13 month old daughter. I believe I was on the 25mg? It was the second to the lowest dose available. If it is something that works or worked for you I would ask your doctor about it.

It took me a while to get adjusted to Zoloft as I had never taken it before. (about 5 weeks to notice anything) But after it was in my system it kept me at least in a functional state. :) I was concerned to take a high dose of anything during my pregnancy so I completely understand your concern.

My OB assured me it was a common anti anxiety/ anti depression drug. He was right! It worked for me and my daughter is just fine.

I wish you the best!,
Carrie
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

BTTRFLY

Post by BTTRFLY » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:32 am

Hi there---I am 10 weeks pregnant and not currently on Zoloft, but my Ob and my psychiatrist told me that Zoloft is the safest one to take while pregnant. My anxiety became so out of control with the influx of pregnancy hormones that I am actually on Prozac and Klonopin daily. I have a high risk ob who says the meds are much less dangerous to the baby than the panic attacks, and that there is no reason we will not have a happy, healthy baby with me taking these meds through the pregnancy. Trust your doctor, and be honest about how you are feeling...remember when your heart races, so does baby's, and so forth.

Hugs, Tara :)
"If nothing ever changed...there would be no Butterflies." Author unknown

polishprincess

Post by polishprincess » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:47 am

I am very hard on myself as it is. right now I am punishing myself with regrets from my past. its pure torture. I couldnt live with myself if I selfishly took a medication that qould hurt my baby in anyway. I need to give this baby the best shot at being healthy. SO it make me nervous. I would go back to zoloft in a new york minute if I knew there wouldnt be complications. I actually called to see if a higher dose of wellbutrin might help. its worth a shot. Any advise on natural ways to stop obsessive guilt? i know I am fueling the fire giving them so much thought but...I cant help it.

loriersea

Post by loriersea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:15 am

I went off of Zoloft before I got pregnant with my son, and had a terrible first trimester. I was having numerous severe panic attacks every day. I went back on Zoloft around 20 weeks, and I continued to take Zoloft while I breastfed my son. He was 9 lbs. 3 oz. when he was born, perfectly healthy, and is now a really healthy and smart (if extremely rambunctious!) child.

When we try for another baby, I plan on staying on Zoloft during the whole pregnancy. I currently take 50 mg/day, so my psychiatrist and I have talked about going down to 25 mg/day for the first trimester. But, honestly, I think the severe anxiety I went through in the first half of the pregnancy was probably far more potentially harmful to my son than being on Zoloft would have been.

Talk to your doctor. If you are out of the first trimester, they'll probably be just fine with you being on Zoloft at your old dosage. I was told that Zoloft is one of the safest SSRIs to take while pregnant, and by far the safest SSRI to take while breastfeeding. AFAIK, Zoloft isn't associated with any birth defects. There is a slight risk of the baby going through some withdrawal after birth, but it's not very common, and doesn't have any long-term effects.

Best of luck to you. I agonized over what to do about medication while I was pregnant. Looking back, I think I should have focused more on what would be best for our family as a whole. The severe panic attacks I suffered through for the first part of the pregnancy put me into a serious depression (the only time in my life I've been seriously depressed) and put a huge strain on my marriage. You need to take care of yourself so that you can be a happy, healthy mom.

Calebs Mom

Post by Calebs Mom » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:06 pm

bump
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Return to “Parent to Parent”