daughter with possible anxiety

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Barbara M.

Post by Barbara M. » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:37 pm

I have lived with depression for almost 16 years and with anxiety/panic attacks for over 7 years. I'm now getting help with this program :) I have a 7 year old daughter that I believe is having anxiety/panic attacks. I try my best to hide my problem from her. A few times she has had to go to the bathroom and cant, then she starts crying hysterically and saying things like she feels like she's going to have a heart attack, she's going to die, etc... Any suggestions????

Post by Guest » Sat Jun 13, 2009 3:12 pm

Get her to a good therapist who works with cognitive-behavioral techniques with children. I had anxiety and panic attacks from when I was a child, and my parents did *nothing*. If I had learned at that age what I am learning now, I could have had so much fun with life where I now have lost years.

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:48 am

Barbara,
I often wonder if my 5 year old son has anxiety issues as well. He is a very strong-headed, smart & loving kid most of the time.
However, he gets angry quickly (as do I), he often talks about his feelings to me, for example about 2 weeks ago when he heard about a man cutting a woman's head off on TV, he called me in his room & was crying & said 'What would happen if someone cut your head off?' not talking about MY head, but just in general.
And the most recent - 4 days ago he was stung by a bee on his finger, he didn't even cry & so I thought it didn't bother him too much, well I was WRONG! Now when we are going outside, he will stand at the screen door & if he sees a flying insect, he will tell us that he is not going outside because the bee will 'get' him (except for a dragonfly, which he views as safe)

Now, in my eyes, I think he has a right to NOT want to be around bees - but at the same time, I don't think he should be this terrified of them. And I am NOT going to do exposure therapy on him with bees or other flying insects. He is scared of anything that resembles a bee that flies! Anyway, I'm sure it will pass soon, it's only been 4 days.
He has also told me in the past that his heart was 'beeping' fast. That had me so worried & I thought that I'd take his pulse while he was sleeping & then look up on the internet a normal pulse for a child, but that's NOT a good idea, not for me, it will only make me more anxious & freaked out! I will not put my kids thru it!!!

I have had anxiety for almost 2 years & I'm recovering. I also have anger issues that I'm not sure how to deal with (which I know is where my 5yr old has learned his from) we both go from a level 2 to a level 10 in about 3 seconds, it's a scary kind of explosive anger & it's basically only with each other (not sure if that makes sense) When we are calm, which is about 75% of the time, we are loving towards each other. When we are mad, it's very unhealthy the way we talk to each other (the tone, the words, etc...) So far it's not physical & I pray, pray, pray that it never gets that bad. I'm hoping to learn to deal with my anger before it goes too far & I know that my son will follow my example as soon as he sees that it is productive. He is very smart.

I am with you on this question though!? How will we know when our children need help? Will counseling mess them up more if they really don't need it? What will happen if they actually need counseling and do not get it? Who determines if your child will benefit from couseling? All of these questions run through my head when I think of taking my son to a therapist. I don't want him 'messed' up!
It's very hard for people with anxiety/depression/ocd/panic attacks to decide these things for their kids, because we are always second guessing EVERYTHING we do to begin with - at least I am.
I will pray for your daughter & my son, I pray fervently & I pray often!
Thank you for your post, I've often wondered if others worry as much as I do about my kids being affected negatively by all my anxiety.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:09 am

TNL, thank you so much for your post. I agree with you 100%. When/What/How do we deal with this. My daughter and I are very close and I DO try and hide my anxiety from her but she is also very smart and know's when something is wrong. I notice she is having the same anxiety symptoms that I have (most of the time). I have throat problems (I have Multiple Sclerosis & have a numb spot in my throat so it feels like something is stuck), now she complains of throat problems and doesnt want to eat sometimes. It's so difficult to see your child going thru this. I know Lucinda started working with kids as young as 9 yrs. old. I just dont know how to go about doing it. I started the program a week ago today, the 1st. session I had listened to for 4 days (I drilled it into my head) so I started the 2nd. session and so far I'm doing great. I havent had to take my anti-anxiety medication since Saturday night. That's huge for me considering I take it everyday, sometimes twice a day. So I agree what do we do???? I wish you the best in your recovery & with your son. Please let me know how things go. I really appreciate. God Bless You!!!

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:26 pm

do not hide the fact that you have them from her
i'm 17, but my anxiety, depression, and panic attacks started at 12
i did not understand what they were for the longest time i felt like it was my fault and i was just a weak person and once i did realise i had depression and all those "episodes" where panic attacks i thought i was alone, messed up, and a total freak and that made it worse
when i finally asked my mom about getting me medication(which has worked wonders) she told me she has bad anxiety and depression, anxiety, substance abuse, panic, bi-polar, and OCD run in both sides of my family and pointed out some examples
anyways when i was told this it all made sense why i was feeling the way i was, what was happening wasn't my fault and i wasn't just a weak person,
it gave me a real-life example of how i could over come this, how it could be manageable, and gave me hope for my own future

Return to “Parent to Parent”