Postpartum Anxiety

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Virginia girl

Post by Virginia girl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:09 am

HI all,

there is an excellent article in Cookie magazine (a mom's magazine available at most grocery stores,CVS, etc) about post-partum anxiety.

I had this, it started at the end of my pregnancy and only one of the doctors in the four doctor OBGYN practice I went to correctly figured it out. The other 3 docs and the hospital psychiatrist (!) told me I was just having a medication reaction.

Anyway, there is lots out there about post-partum depression but post-partum anxiety, according to the stats in this article, is actually more common!

Thanks to zoloft and the skills I had learned from Stress Center a few years before got me through it.

Anyway,if you are suffering and you are post-partum,see you doctor! there is help!
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams"

Post by Guest » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:51 pm

I had it too, really bad, for 8 months. I tried meds and therapy, but nothing helped me as much as this program. Now I'm back to my old self and doing great. The more I talk to women, the more I see that it is common. I'm glad to hear a magazine had an article on it.

Post by Guest » Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:22 pm

I got so bad after I had my son I had panic attacks in my home. I didnt feel comfortable anywhere. I felt very alone like none understood. I did go on Zoloft for about a year and a half but when I went off it started all over again. I am excited about the program I really think it will change my life!

Post by Guest » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:25 pm

I had postpartum depression and anxiety. Really tough year while pregnant and never expected it to happen because it never happened with my other kids. It definately threw me for a loop and now im on meds and very scared I wont get "me" back. It started when my baby was 2 months old and lasted a good 8 months......though I still feel it lingering. He is 17 months old now and I am still on meds. Anyone out there been there and done that and now back to old self? would love to hear from you.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:52 pm

Mama5, I had it bad for 8 months, but ultimately it took 2 years to recover, gradually. It was not until I did the program that I learned how to control the anxiety. Learing how to deal with it takes time. Stick with the program and keep practicing. You will get better.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:30 am

I'm so glad to have encountered this thread today. My anxiety really flared up since just after my third son was born last December. It started going downhill in July when I had a panic attack on the last day of a vacation to CO. I thought maybe I was afraid to go back into the same chaotic situation with three demanding little boys under 5. I'm on meds now and thy have helped a lot. But there is still a lingering anxiety and depression about me that I'm hoping will get resolved through the program. Of course, I'm always wondering "what if" it doesn't. I, too, appreciate anyone who can drop a note from the other side of the baby blues. Thanks for the input Rose_thorn98. Knowing that it took you a good while to really get back into recovery makes me feel like I should just be more patient. Is anyone else just eager to start living again and put this whole thing behind them?

Post by Guest » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Oh yes very eager to get this behind me. Mine started after having my first son Nov 07. It has gotten much better but it is a struggle on some days. My anxiety really revolves around "going crazy" ect.. I can really relate to this thread. Good luck everyone and if anyone needs anything just let me know.

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:55 am

I just had my first son October 1st and have been struggeling with anxiety and mild depressiohn too. I began taking zoloft but it kept me up at night and I really don't want to take medication to feel better. I want to learn to overcome this and learn the skills to overcome it. Is there anyone else out there who is going through the program drug free? I would like to connect and see how you are doing? About how long will this last?

Post by Guest » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:47 pm

I just want to add that postpartum depression is triggered by a hormonal shift that occurs of course, when the baby is born. The meds should from the get go, be temporary, while the hormones right themselves. Drs used to do hormone therapy but since the drug companies now sell antianxiety meds, well things have changed. Anyway, for the postpartum depression to resolve, regular (I know you'll hate this) exercise, like a walk each day with baby in stroller and fresh air and sunshine, will help alot. Get plenty of sunshine. Don't hole up in the house with the shades drawn. Open those blinds and get the sunlight. Get plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and water. Drink it like it's going out of style. I don't know if people are as aware anymore, but carrying a baby is toxic to the body and it needs to be cleansed after being born. Remember, the body had 2 people in it for a while and the kidneys and liver were detoxing for the 2. I know it's hard and you don't feel like it but you have to be vigilant and persistant. Go for a walk and get the sun in your eyes and eat right. Don't forget to make contact each day with someone who loves you. A good girlfriend will be worth her weight in gold at this time. And not someone who is going to use you for a therapist. You need someone to be there for you at this time. It's ok to let her complain a little but not if she's going to bring you down. I hope you get to feeling better soon. Marg

Post by Guest » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks for the input Huggermag. I suffer from both baby blues and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. So the combination of the two have been toxic for me. Not to mention the fact that I'm a single mother and my baby's father is an abusive a-hole. So, the loving support from someone has not been there for me. My immediate family has become tired of getting my calls over the years and now with this added combination of the baby and dealing with his father's BS, well it's going to be a long haul. I'm still waiting on the program and am looking forward to starting it. I've been in on going therapy for 15 years and I really hope that this program will be what ties everything together for me.

Return to “Parent to Parent”