Late Talker

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
pictbridge

Post by pictbridge » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Anyone have a late talking child? Our child has been tested for everything under the sun and has come out perfectly healthy...Thank God! We have a history of late talkers in both of our families. Just wanted some consolation. Our child just turned 3 this month. Has about 20 words and understands most of what we say. Makes me anxious even though all docs. says she is just a late talker. Thank you.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi pictbridge, interesting handle. I had to write, my oldest son who is now 31 was a very late talker. It turned out he was just way laid back. Also now people address him as doctor so it had nothing to do with intellegence.So relax!

FixingMyBrokenSmile

Post by FixingMyBrokenSmile » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:05 am

What a wonderful email to receive first thing in the morning. Thank you so much for taking the time to write to me. Our daughter does have a very laid back personality as well. We have been reassured by many, and I will just relax. Just know how much I appreciate your response. Thank You!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:12 am

Hi pictbridge

My daughter is 13 now, and I have to remind myself that I was once worried about her re talking. She didn't say much beyond "no" and "up" even at 2, and her sentences, when she spoke, were still pretty choppy at 4. Now, her best subjects are drama and creative writing, and it's a rare moment when she's quiet.

I'm with stagerlee: Relax -- your daughter has her own timetable and will talk when she's ready. :)

Post by Guest » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:26 am

Thank you also Traveller. My brother says the same thing about my neice who is now 16. She spoke at 4 and has not stopped. It is difficult, as you well-know, when you are going through it though. Hard to imagine a time when I will be having complete conversations with her! Thank you for taking the time to respond. Have a wonderful day!

Post by Guest » Thu May 28, 2009 6:53 am

My son did not talk until he was a little over 3. This was after private speech therapy for 6 months with no progress (out of pocket)!

After this, I had the state evaluate him and they paid for private speech therapy. If a child does not talk by 3, the state will pay for services (at least where I live).

My son will be 6 in October, and there are days I can't get him to shut up! He is very science and math oriented, and his current speech therapist states that when he was little, he was probably trying to analyze the language before he started to talk. No signs of lagging, and his last evaluation recommended a program for kids for higher learning.

In the meantime, I know its really stressful. My son didn't say mommy until he was 3 1/2. As a parent, you worry, a lot. We also went through all the testing. People will say you have nothing to worry about, but as a parent, you will worry. Try to relax, and get him the help he needs to move forward (this can include help from you as well).

It's slow going, but he will talk when he has something to say, I promise.

Lucie

Post by Guest » Thu May 28, 2009 7:06 am

OH Lucie! I happened to be on line and just received your post. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Our daughter is very much like her father. My husband is an engineer and she is good at problem solving, above someone her age, just lags in language. We've had every test under the sun done and thank God, nothing has come up.

It is wonderful to hear from parents such as yourself who have children that are older. It gives me an opportunity to look into that crystal ball and see 3 years down the road. I really like what your current speech therapist says.

She is in Early Intervention and we are just transitioning to the School now as she just turned 3.

Thank you for taking the time to write to me. You will never know how much these comments help!

Have a wonderful day and best wishes to your son!

Mary

Post by Guest » Fri May 29, 2009 8:35 am

Hi Mary,
Ironically, my husband is also a professional geologist who works with engineers, it must be this aspect of their personality! Good luck and enjoy the weekend! Oh, when I was doing my research I found a book about an engineer with a late talker, I'll see if I can find it again.
Lucie

Post by Guest » Fri May 29, 2009 8:37 am

I already found it. Here's the link:

http://www.squidoo.com/einsteinsyndrome

Post by Guest » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

Lucie:

Thank you once again! I told her Speech Therapist what you said and she told me that our daughter does show advanced analytical thinking, just can't get the words out consistently just yet.

The article you sent was priceless. I have to read up on that. She does show those traits. Her gross motors skills were/are so far advanced, she is a little tom-boy at times.

She has always babbled, mama, but now, she says Mom, Mama and looks for me or right at me. I do not have to tell you how that feels!

Thank you for being such a great support! You will never know how much your posts have helped. As you said, everyone tells you don't worry. How can a parent not worry.

We are putting her in a speech class through a local university for 5 weeks this summer, then in a Program so that she can have therapy at school.

I sent the article to my husband already. I'm sure he will love that! Maybe I will have two engineers in the family???

Return to “Parent to Parent”