10 year old with ADHD, ODD, tic disorder and OCD

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
JustTray

Post by JustTray » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:40 pm

Hi... HELP! I daughter is currently taking Biphentin in am and Risperdal in evening.

Bedtime has become a nightly struggle, as the only way she will fall asleep is in my bed. Once I transfer her out when I go to sleep... she is back in an hour or two. When alone, she is convinced (obsesssed) that M myers (halloween villain) is gonna get her.

CBT began a few months ago, with a nice month break in there for summer... Now its worse than ever.

I am expecting my third child witin a week or two and really don't know how else to handle it....

Anyone with some experience here?!!

Shifrah

Post by Shifrah » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:53 am

Hi there,

I'm so sorry she is going through this.

Why is a 10 year old watching horror movies?

I would say to cut out all media influences. Yourself included. Start watching family films together.

When my kids were scared when they were little, I prayed with them. God is bigger than the boogy man. Always. They can always call on God to help them get through any situation.
Shif.

If you don't like something change it; if you can't change it, change the way you think about it.

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:40 am

Hello there:
One of the side effects of Risperdal is wakefulness in some people.

If you could, i would get some second opinions on the medication for a 10 year old.

I will pray for your daughter today.

And Shifrah gave some very good advice.

Blessings,
MJ

cheryl h

Post by cheryl h » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:46 am

Hi:
At age 41 I was put on Risperdal and also had wakefulness, nightmares, and nervous tics. I was begging my doctor to put me on something else, my whole body felt as if it were shaking. I was very much anxious as a child. I could not be separated from my mother. I had problems concentrating in school, and had poor grades in classes I could not understand. Did I want to pay attention to the teachers, yes but my mind was filled with the distractions within the class room and so many thoughts going on in my head. When I got older the doctors put me on anti-depressant pills, and Ritalin. At 41, I had a nervous breakdown and the doctors then put me on Risperdal. I went and saw one doctor and he told me that I had been on Risperdal long enough and they then put me on medication for bipolar. I am doing better, but this program has helped me more than anything else. My mind is not racing, I am off the Concerta and dropped the Cymbalta down to 30 mg.
See if your doctor can change her medication. And if you can, find some way to present this program to her. I would never put my child on a medication such as Risperdal and no, you probably had no idea as to what the side effects are like and if your child would have them. The best thing for u is to concentrate on the program and help her work through her anxiety. Good Luck,
cheryl

JustTray

Post by JustTray » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:22 pm

hello - thank you all for your response.

a few months have passed and the psychiatrist still stands by the current biphentin\risperdal. except that her anger seems to have just exploded. I have had some issues obtaining psycological services (go figure - its a phsychiatric hospital)! But alas, I do believe we will get some soon.

Thank you Cheryl for highlighting the shaking... now that you mention it.. paige often complains of that. Our next appt is in 2 weeks and I am gearing up for a fight.

It she is now having probs again with attention, however she does not tolerate a higher does of biphentin (she is on half of the smallest pill daily - served in yogurt or nutella).

Her rituals and obsessions are stronger than ever, and like I said... she is so very oppositional.

Tracy

SunnySkies2009

Post by SunnySkies2009 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:51 am

I'm so sorry to hear about you and your child's suffering. I wanted to know if you've found a successful treatment regimn? How is she doing and what is she on now? My son is 10 years old and suffers from ADD only. Concerta has been very successfull in his treatment.

♥~DawFai~♥

Post by ♥~DawFai~♥ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:50 pm

How is the child's diet? Maybe some sleepytime tea with a nice uplifting bedtime story would help. 2 of my kid's are ADD and in bed @9. I would say one sugar dring a day and snacks, cut greasy food,lots of exercise. My kid's use to sneak in my bed also. If they are good, do their chores, sleep in their own bed, and stay in their bed,on friday we will have a sleep over in y room or their room. They really enjoy that. I also have a puppy they each take turns sleeping with as this some how calms their fears of any monsters. My son in paticualr would freak in his room even with the light and tv on. I hope these ideas work for you.

God Bless!

JustTray

Post by JustTray » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:21 pm

thank you - have you a tea to suggest? I will definately try the uplifting bedtime story. Although before I get her out of my bed - i think she will need to do some work with a psychologist... which I hope she gets soon.

Thank you so very much for your reply.

annastime1

Post by annastime1 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:23 am

hello..

I hope everything has worked out for yr daughter... my 10 yr old son also has adha and odd. they did put him on meds which i took him off has he got really emontional with it..i just now do everything to keep his mind in the right direaction.. he was never one to have bad grades or act out at school soo i didnt feel the meds were doing anything for him except making it harder at night for me..

*slimjim

Post by *slimjim » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:01 pm

Slimjim saying HI. Just wanted to see if you woulld like to take a peek at my latest webcomic? If so let me know what you think.
Thanx.
http://madamexinc.smackjeeves....cs/1029786/mx-inc-1/ I'm a recent graduate of the program and I just wanted to show those of you what this program has allowed me to do in ways I never thought was possible.

Return to “Parent to Parent”