Help Me Please?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
JohnP113

Post by JohnP113 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:21 pm

First of all I have a job which requires me to do work long hours and weekends during spring and fall. The problem is my son's is turning six and we had planned to have a birthday party for him and four of his friends after work and school on Friday. With the season getting busy, I may be called upon to work on Friday past normal business hours. I spoke with my boss and he said "we'll have to see what can be worked out." This is just not acceptable for my wife, who I may add is seven months pregnant with our second child. She began to cry about the situation, upset that our son will be disappointed and upset himself. I realize she is emmotional, and I want to do all I can to get out of work next Friday. I just don't know how to handle the situation, I suffer from depression and problems like this are really tough to handle for me. What do I do?

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi John:
I understand what you are going thru' because my son went thru' that. It is hard.
I will try to support you but I don't know how to advise.
I think that I know what my son would do now. I think he would defy the system and go to the son's birthday party.
But for a long time he worked long hours, 7 days a week. His company demanded it.
He got cancer tho' and was off work for two years. Only the union saved his job.
He is working again, cancer free now for the time being. His doctors will only let him work 8 hours a day.
But he says that he learned something.
He said that he learned that his family was more important than his job.
However, i'm very aware that jobs are hard to find now.
I'll be thinking of you.
And your wife and that little boy.
And your feelings and distress over this situation.
God bless you.
I'm sure some of the guys will have more encouragment for you.
MJ

Post by Guest » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:40 am

Hey,
My husband is military, and he's missed kindergarten graduation, birthdays, our anniversary, thanksgiving etc. It does make me sad and we have moments where it's tough, but on the flipside, I tell my girls, daddy loves them so much, that he is working hard to provide all the things we enjoy, so we can have what we have. Tell your wife you'll just do the best you can, you love her, it's not a matter of wanting to be there b/c you do. It's a matter of being able to continuely provide for your family. Also if you love your son, which i'm sure you do, and you play with him or do other fun things. He's NOT going to remember who was even at his 6th birthday when he's 16, nor will he care. But if you think you can go and keep your job then go. hope this helps.

Post by Guest » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Ok
so I'm a working mother of two children ages1/2 and just turned 4 . I'm married. this is what i think, talk to your son if something comes up then plan something for the two of you to do later. I would let him in on what was going on in a prospective that a 11 yr old could understand. But let's face it this is not the time to be slacking on the job or you might lose it so do what's best for everyone.

Return to “Parent to Parent”