Can't Focus

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
PJ18

Post by PJ18 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:01 am

My anxiety levels are high and I am in my head. I am doing the what if thinking, making things up, worring about the past and things I cannot control, I can't eat, & I can't sleep. I am trying to talk myself out of it and I usually can before I get this anxious. But, for some reason I am having a really hard time this time. I am a stay at home mom. I find it hard to focus on my children. They are babies; under one and a little over two. I manage to get them fed and change their diapers, but I am not CAREING for them. This makes me even more anxious. I would love to do the program, but being a single income family we just don't have the money for it right now. I read Lucinda Bassett's book From Panic to Power and that is always what helps me when I am like this, but I don't ever want to get like this again. I never want my children to see me like and remember how I act...

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:21 am

They really won't remember you like this, I guarantee. They are way too young. But if you do not give them emotional love it will effect them psychologically. It has been proven that when infants don't receive parental love, and closeness, it has a huge impact on them developmentally. So give them lots of hugs, read to them, etc, even if you don't want to.

Try E-bay there are a lot of sellers of this program, also get on the mailing list here, I got this program 1/2 off. It is SO worth it, even if you have to make payments for it.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:54 am

Thank you for the advice on getting the program discounted. I have been watching ebay and craigs list. I will have to get on the mailing list. I really think I do need the program.

Also, I agree with you that babies need parental love. For the most part I do give them all the attention, love, hugs I can. I have only been really anxious for a couple of weeks now. But, it is two weeks to long without mom. I am trying. As soon as I read your message I gave my son a hug...

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:13 am

I think 2 weeks wouldn't have much of an effect. The study was done on orphans and some kids who were completely neglected. I hope I didn't scare you!

You are doing the right thing...God bless you.

Post by Guest » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:42 am

PJ18: It sounds like you are doing a good job caring for your kids, making sure they are fed, safe, and warm and giving them attention. They will not suffer any long-term damage, and they can't tell what is going on inside of you. That was good advice from Shifrah about getting on the mailing list. It seems that they do a 1/2 off 72-hour sale a couple of times a year (maybe sometimes at the begining of the new year? I can't remember and it may change). Also buying used is a good suggestion. I think the program would really help you a lot. From Panic to Power is a good start for now. Have you marked some places you can re-read when you are feeling anxious? I have dog-eared pages 83 and 155.

Your kids are so little...there is no way they'll remember this anxious period for you. I had what I call a "good old fashioned nervous breakdown" three years ago. My kids were 3 and 6 at the time, and I was so bad one morning I remember not even being able to pour a bowl of cereal. I had been up all night, the medication they gave me was causing increased rebound anxiety, and I just stood there and shook head to toe, staring at the breakfast table! It was a bad time, but I got through it, and my kids seem no worse for it.

Having gone through that, and come through it, has given me good skills I am teaching to my kids. I am able to help them manage the normal anxiety that comes with being a kid (and both my kids seem to have a little more than normal, but they are doing well). We were at the fair last weekend, and my now 9-year-old likes wild rides. He went on the Zipper a couple of times. He said it was worse the first time "but only because of what I was saying to myself in my head." That made me feel good...I thought "He's getting it!".

Good luck.

Return to “Parent to Parent”