Do you have post-partum depression? For 4 years!

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
SaraHall

Post by SaraHall » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:46 am

Is there anyone out there who has recovered from post partum depression? How did you get better? I just want to be able to live my life really living it not hating my life. Is there hope?

Valeria83

Post by Valeria83 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:15 am

Well I have been wondering the same thing, I've had it for almost two years, but mine is accompanied by anxiety and I really don't know which one is worst. Mine started with panic attacks but now is just anxiety and depression. I have hope that one day we are going to look back and laugh! don't give up, just like i am trying to do. How did your depression started?

lucie

Post by lucie » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:17 am

Had to reply. Struggled with my first son, depression in pregnancy and post-partum with second. Tried everything except meds. Now on a regime of accupuncture and herbs that keep me calm and stable. The female system is depleted of a lot of nutrients and blood monthly and especially with pregnancy. The herbs help immensely with this.

lisa2692

Post by lisa2692 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:59 am

I had pretty bad PPD with my third child. I had a traumatic pregnancy, early delivery, and hard time caring for his unique needs. I went on Zoloft and things got much better. I was only on it six or nine months and was able to get off them w/ no problems.

Zoloft wasn't magic. I didn't like that I didn't get as happy about things as I used to, but it was easier to manage dr. visits, daily life, etc. So it was a good trade off then. It also gave me a break from my feelings so I could address some thought issues I was having, kind of readjust my attitude. But it wasn't a long term solution. The reason I'm here on this board is because I've had anxiety and some depression since childhood, so it was no wonder I had a hard time coping in that situation, and with the hormones. With this program I have been able to improve my life. Sometimes you just need the break that meds can give so you have a fighting chance.

You have a lot going on that would make anyone really sad. Being sad or even despondent does not make you abnormal. If you are not taking medication, maybe talk to your doctor to see if it would help you function. But most of all, give this program a chance to help you make the changes you need so you can make the most out of your life, and be better equipped to face the challenges that parenting a special needs child brings. My kids are now "normal," and even I've been there where all I could do was lay on the couch and obsess while they played games or watched t.v. You can overcome this and enjoy your life again! Don't give up hope!

SaraHall

Post by SaraHall » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:03 am

I think I have been depressed since the day I was born. I have no memory of ever not feeling like I was depressed. It runs in my family and its hell.

maryschild

Post by maryschild » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:54 pm

I have had postpartum anxiety with each of my three children. I have survived each time and tried many different approaches to healing. Counseling, medication, chiropractic care, vitamens, and progesterone shots all helped in my recovery. I have gone through the program again after each birth. This also has helped me very much. I always remind myself I made it through the last birth and I am stronger than I was before. I also remind myself that I will have both good days and bad days after giving birth. I still get anxious 8 years later but I can cope now and overcome it. There are two really good books that I read: Marie Osmonds story of her postpartum depression experience and a book called: Postpartum depression This Isnt What I Expected. I read them like the Bible on some days. It is very possible to over come PPD and PPA. Keep taking one step forward each day and work on yourself and your specific needs! I wondered many days after my first son was born if I would ever feel better. It took years but I did! Once you understand it you can overcome it!

gemini0521

Post by gemini0521 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:44 am

Hey Lucie, I was just wondering what kind of herbal medicine did you take that helped?
Toni Slater

Paisleegreen

Post by Paisleegreen » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:30 am

I had it and there wasn't much help for it back then either. Some nurse suggested I start a "group" for it. What?! :eek: I need the help... :roll: My mother was the best, she told me it would go away in 3 months. Which it did.

AshleyZ

Re: Do you have post-partum depression? For 4 years!

Post by AshleyZ » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 pm

Sometimes after pregnancy your chemicals do not balance back out so medication may be needed. A friend of mine was perfectly normal all her life and then after giving birth had major depression, was suicidal and everything. She went on medication and it all went away without the need for thought training, etc. For her it was just chemical and she needed them to balance out through medication. If you've struggled with it all your life it could be different though.

TemperAnxietyStress

Re:

Post by TemperAnxietyStress » Mon May 09, 2011 9:42 pm

SaraHall wrote:I think I have been depressed since the day I was born. I have no memory of ever not feeling like I was depressed. It runs in my family and its hell.
Hey Sara,
I noticed this was written back in February. You should be about what, halfway through the program now? How are things going now? Have you improved at all? I pray and hope that this program will help you. I cannot imagine the sorrow of never feeling like you're over the depression...to 'never see the sun' so to speak. Would love to know how you're doing now.

Amy

Return to “Parent to Parent”