I have a 14 year old son with anxiety.

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
Yesi

Post by Yesi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:06 pm

My 14 year old son has anxiety and lately is been getting worst. I feel bad. I don't know how to help him. He comes to me with chest pains and his heart racing alot. When he sees my younger son acting up or crying my 14 year old feels bad and wants to help him so much but ends up getting an anxiety attack. What can i do to help him?

Post by Guest » Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Yesi,
I'm a mom of eight and my next to youngest
is 12. He went through some depression this winter--no confidence in himself. I would sug-
gest reassurance. Reassure him of his place as
an older brother and how his younger brother looks up to him. Let him know of your love for
him and what a wonderful boy he is.
I talked to my son's teacher and we both worked on building his confidence. He seems much happier. I hope this helps--God bless you,
Yesi. Faith

britt8200

Post by britt8200 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:15 pm

i'm 17 and i have had anxiety and depression since i was 12, since getting this program i have gotten much better, the first thing i could say is be supportive, point out his triumphs and make him feel loved, i never had a close relationship with either of my parents so i always felt too dependent on friends who at that age, were not reliable, i feel like a closer home environment would have been beneficial and i would have become self-sufficient quicker, try to recognize his triggers and inconspicuously remove some of them, try to get him to talk to a councilor it took me a very long time to feel comfortable enough to get one for myself, and it was actually one of my teachers who made me realize that i needed one and once i got one it helped me tremendously. if it gets bad enough to interfere with school or his social life i would highly suggest medicine, this also something i thought i would never do and that i didn't need but i stated cilexa last year and i have only had two panic attacks since starting it when i used to get them 2-4 times a week

Post by Guest » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:44 pm

Parent of a teen son with anxiety & depression here. Brief background: He sees a Psych, is on meds for anxiety, depression, and insomnia but as parents, we don't see that they're helping much (and between his Dad and me, I don't approve of the drugs, his Dad does, we agreed to let him try them). He cuts himself, smokes, drinks (not with our permission), has OD'd once on OTC drugs, and has been arrested for marijuana which he bought in an attempt to self medicate because the Rx's weren't working. I don't own the program and am always skeptical of anything I see on TV where they don't give you enough details about exactly what it is you're buying BEFORE you fork out the money. I'm wondering how a program (such as this) can be "catch-all" enough to work for all age groups. The psychological needs of a teen versus an adult are vastly different (IMHO) and I'd like some other parents' input here as to just what this program is, how has it helped your son or daughter, and how is it different from the hundreds of thousands of other (fee for service) self-help programs out there? Is this just another "you are special; love yourself!" program? Is there a religious agenda? (I heard several people in the TV ad make references to religion). My son is very bright intellectually and has highly developed "BS radar" which makes him inordinately difficult to help. He sees right through people (illusions, hypocrisy, dishonesty, myths, etc) like ground penetrating radar and will shut you out in the blink of an eye if he detects any of the above. Very jaded young man, angry, hopeless, sees no point or purpose to his life.

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:34 am

HelpMyTeen, I have a dear friend who shares the symptoms your son is exhibiting, and was labeled Borderline Personality Disorder. They are taking antidepressants which has taken some of the pressure off, but even with counseling there hasn't been much recovery. I truly believe this program can help my friend, and possibly your son.

Being overly analytical like your son is, as well as many other anxiety sufferers, it may be difficult for him to accept some of the precepts taught in the program. One of the major skills that must be learned in order to recover is using realistic and positive self talk. Being the skeptic that I am, I thought it was so hokey and pointless. When I read a book that reinforced that concept, called What to Say When You Talk to Yourself, I thought it even more silly. The only reason I gave it a chance is that I was so ready to die and knew if I didn't try everything I could I would end up homeless or dead. I tried to stay open minded and give myself some time, and it worked. There are some spiritual references, but it is definitely not based on religion. In fact, some facets of it seem more new age than my faith is comfortable with. That's okay, though, it is really adaptable to anyone's religious beliefs. It is basically a cognitive behavior therapy program. There are some here who use it in conjunction with CBT, or other therapies.

I have seen that other teens have used the program and had success. The problem you might run into with your son is his unwillingness to try it. There are examples of adults who thought the program wouldn't really work for them, but were helped enough that they gave the program another honest try. That may be the case for your son. You can always order the program, review it with your son's Dad, then if you don't think it is for your family, send it back. Or, check craig's list or other places for used copies. It wouldn't hurt to have it lying around for when the time comes he is ready to find real solutions to his issues. Also, there is an option to talk to counselors by phone. That might be something you want to consider to help your son get more into the program.

It sounds like your son is in a lot of pain. I've been there, too. I hope he decides to find a real solution to his self loathing issues. Good luck to your family.

Post by Guest » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:02 am

Anxiety In Teens was also created in the Stress. I am 22 years old, but I still have found relief from the site after I went to a group meeting and learned about it. Send it to your 14 year old son!
www.anxietyinteens.com is the link: Anxiety In Teens

sollenn

Re: I have a 14 year old son with anxiety.

Post by sollenn » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:55 am

There is no one cause for anxiety; it is likely that many factors contribute to a person’s chances of developing anxiety. Neurotransmitters are chemical messengers in the brain that regulate a person’s thoughts and feelings. Sometimes there is a problem with the way the brain’s messages are being sent due to a chemical imbalance. Two of the primary neurotransmitters that affect a person’s feelings are serotonin and dopamine. When there is an imbalance of these chemicals, a person can feel depressed or anxious. Anxiety can affect many aspects of a teenager's life. If your child is always anxious and worried, it is doubtful that he or she can fully enjoy life. Anxiety might affect their ability to make friends, perform well in school, and try new things.

Return to “Parent to Parent”