Does anyone here practice attachment parenting?

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
MirandaLey

Does anyone here practice attachment parenting?

Post by MirandaLey » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:48 am

I am a 25 year old wife and mother of a beautiful little one year old. Ever since she was born my husband and I have been practicing attachment parenting -- breastfeeding (still going strong!!), co-sleeping and me staying at home with baby (I look after other children in my home, to make money and be at home at the same time).

The reason I am so drawn to attachment parenting is because of my own unstable childhood, with a father who had a problem with alcohol and was verbally and emotionally abusive and a very nervous, anxious mother who told me all of her problems when I was at a very young age. I feel like the biggest gift I can give my daughter is to create a strong attachment between us so that she knows that no matter what, her father and I will always be there for her. For me, growing up there was many times I doubted whether my father loved me. Now I know that he did but he had his own problems. Thankfully he sought help for his problems and is a completely different, wonderful man today.

So I was just wondering if anyone else practices attachment parenting and what are your experiences with it?

ca2

Re: Does anyone here practice attachment parenting?

Post by ca2 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:11 am

I have a friend who did attachment parenting, her child originally had bad separation issues. She wouldn't go in a stroller or a swing at the park. The child is almost two now and in her own time has made her way away from her mum and is thriving. I personally couldn't do it as I need my space a little too much and this particular little girl had to be held ALL the time as a result but now she only needs to sleep with mum.
My friend swears by attachment parenting to raise happy, confident and secure little people.

Return to “Parent to Parent”