obsession with 21 year old's trouble with the law

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
emhandwe

obsession with 21 year old's trouble with the law

Post by emhandwe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:22 pm

I really don't know where to start but I know I need help. My son has been dealing in drugs for 3-4 years now and it just continued to get worse. He finally got in so much trouble with the law that I jerked him out of college and put him in in-patient rehab. That went well but my anxiety continue to grow worse. I seemed to be obsessed with worry. He wend to court and got 2-4 years probation. Now all I do is worry that he will break his probation and go to jail and have all those charges on his permenant record. I can't think straight most of the time. I wake up every night and my mind immediately goes to worrying about where he is and what he is doing. Is he going to get in more trouble. He doesn't live with us; he lives near the school campus. I completely support him and I pray and worry constantly. Please help with anythink that you think will help me live a normal life. My husband is tired of it and can't understand. He just wants me to stop. If I could I would have last year. I love this kid to the point of self destruction. I know I am doing this to myself but can't seem to fix it. Thanks

Dixiesmom

Re: obsession with 21 year old's trouble with the law

Post by Dixiesmom » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Hey! I hope that things are going better with you and your worrying. I think that it is normal for us to worry about our kids, especially when they are involved in things that we know aren't good. But, you also need to think of yourself and your marriage. Your son is an adult. Ultimaltely, he is responsible for what happens to him and the choices he makes. All you can do is try to be there to offer advice. If he is still dealing or in trouble with the law, then you probably need to stop taking care of him. By doing that you are being an enabler and helping him to continue his ways without suffering any consequences. You can let him know you will be there, but he has to be willing to change his ways.
Best of luck. Let us know how you are doing.

Return to “Parent to Parent”