My 6 month old had a seizure after immunizations

This forum is not "parents only", but it does focus on issues about parenting and children.
eaguilar

My 6 month old had a seizure after immunizations

Post by eaguilar » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:11 pm

My son had a seizure last Friday and I spent the whole weekend in the PICU with him and my husband. He is still very sick and I don't know if I will ever be able to sleep or leave him alone especially if he gets a fever. I had just started lesson 2 on the Thursday before and although I couldn't do my relaxation more than once late at night after the kids were asleep, I was still somewhat keeping up. Now that all of this has happened I'm a week behind and I'm trying to read and do my exercises but I feel a block. I feel like crying all the time. I'm worried and exhausted and I can't seem to get the skills I learned in lesson 1 to work for me. I feel very discouraged because I don't know if I will ever be able to really do this program the way it should be done. I just can't see past this horrible time right now. I can't leave my home because he and my 3 year old are still very sick. He won't take a bottle and only nurses so I can't leave for even a little while. It's terrifying because all I feel like doing is running away. I can barely stand my own home right now and everytime I have to force medicine down his throat I feel my anxiety rising because I'm trying so hard to get his fever down before he has another seizure. It's just agonizing. I don't know what to do with myself. I'm of no use to my husband or my oldest daughter. I have nothing to give them emotionally or physically and I feel so guilty.

Elisa

Dixiesmom

Re: My 6 month old had a seizure after immunizations

Post by Dixiesmom » Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Elisa,
First I just want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your baby. I hope that he is doing better. You are under a lot of stress and worry right now - and, I think, given the situation, that is normal. You need to try to take care of yourself some so that you can be better physically and mentally for your family and for yourself. If you have a relative that lives close by or a good neighbor or friend, I would ask them for some help. Even if it's to give you a 30 minute break a couple of times so that you can go to another room and rest or relax. You deserve it and NEED it! I can understand the need for a break, as I am a mother of four.
As far as the program, do what you can and don't stress yourself out about trying to follow it perfectly (I know I did the first couple of times I tried to work the program). Know that this is a journey, not with a straight and narrow path and a sudden landing. If you wander, you can always go back and do it again. I think you said you were on session 2. That is a good session for you right now. If you have to, concentrate on it for a while. Practice the breathing technique. Remember what it says about stopping and preventing an anxiety attack: 1. Accept how you are feeling (acknowledge it but don't fight it). 2. Give yourself permission to feel anxious (look at what has happened and what you are going through, of course it is scary and anxiety producing). 3. Do your breathing technique - breathe in for 2 seconds and out through your mouth for 4 seconds. 4. Look at you inner dialogue and change it to something more truthful, positive and reassuring. 5. Distract yourself (this would be great for you to get someboy to help for a few minutes and do something for yourself). 6. Let time pass and try to find out what is bothering you.
I hope this helps. Let us know how you and your son are doing.

Return to “Parent to Parent”